Engineering physics degree vs physics degree

In summary: Some have a heavy focus on theory while others are more heavily weighted toward applications. Some programs are affiliated with engineering departments, while others are affiliated with physics departments. The program is not always popular, as it requires a lot of work. However, if you are very smart and very hard working, you may be able to complete it.
StatGuy2000
Education Advisor
This is a topic that I would like to pose to Physics Forums.

I have always wondered about the differences between a bachelor's degree in engineering physics and a corresponding bachelor's degree in physics.

Specifically, what I would like to know if whether studying engineering physics provide more options for those students to pursue a wider variety of graduate programs than a regular physics degree, and also the "employability" of an engineering physics BS degree.

(For the record, I knew only a couple of people with a background in engineering physics; one finished his PhD in computer science and the other finished her PhD in statistics).

Physics news on Phys.org
Engineering physics is a hybrid discipline that is more or less applied physics mixed with theory. Physics programs are often weighted to theory, and engineering programs are weighted toward applications. However, the portion of theory may vary according to departments and universities.

Most often, I see Engineering Physics affiliated with Engineering departments.

There is a need for both theory and applications.

At my school ep is through the college of engineering but most of my classes are physics classes and my advisor is the physics advisor.

It is also highly customizable, I could take the same physics curriculum that physics majors headed for grad school take, or I could take a lesser amount of physics (one semester of quantum and e&m, stat phys not required), and more engineering.

As far as engineering goes, I can choose from eight concentrations: aero, cs, ee, mech, nuclear, industrial, chemical, and materials. I am taking cs so I'm required to take a year of software engineering with components, data structures and algorithms I, numerical methods, assembly and C, and about ten hours more electives.

I also take a year-long senior research lab course for ep majors, and a one-semester senior survey lab for ep majors.

In short, it can prepare you equally well for industry or grad school depending on your chosen classes.

At my alma mater, engineering physics is no longer offered. When it was, one took the entire curriculum for mechanical engineering, and the the entire curriculum for physics, minus the overlap. If this sounds like a lot of work, it was. I did not do this, I took a B.S. in Physics. In retrospect, I probably would have really enjoyed it, because my work is mostly mechanical engineering. I also learned everything I needed later.

The program was not popular, due to the intense workload required. Only very smart and very hard working students could reasonably complete it, which selected for only the best and brightest. *If* you graduated in this program from my school, it was a strong signal for "smart, works hard, manages time well".

Engineering physics programs seem to vary widely. Check into the details of your program.

I would say that both engineering physics and physics degrees offer valuable opportunities for graduate studies and employment. However, there are some key differences between the two that may impact a student's options and career path.

Firstly, an engineering physics degree typically combines the principles of physics with engineering applications and techniques. This can provide a more practical and hands-on approach to learning, which may be attractive to students who are interested in applying their knowledge to real-world problems. On the other hand, a traditional physics degree may have a more theoretical focus, delving deeper into fundamental concepts and mathematical models.

In terms of graduate studies, an engineering physics degree may provide a wider range of options, as it combines knowledge from both fields. This can be beneficial for students who are interested in pursuing interdisciplinary research or specialized programs that require a strong understanding of both physics and engineering. However, a physics degree can also open doors to a variety of graduate programs, particularly in fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and materials science.

In terms of employability, both degrees can lead to a variety of career opportunities. An engineering physics degree may be more attractive to employers in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications, where a strong understanding of both physics and engineering principles is necessary. A physics degree, on the other hand, may be more appealing to employers in research and development, academia, and government agencies.

Ultimately, the decision between an engineering physics degree and a physics degree should be based on a student's interests and career goals. Both degrees offer valuable skills and knowledge that can lead to successful careers in various fields. It may also be helpful for students to research specific graduate programs and job opportunities in their desired fields to determine which degree would be the best fit for them.

Related to Engineering physics degree vs physics degree

Question 1: What is the difference between an engineering physics degree and a physics degree?

An engineering physics degree combines the study of physics with practical engineering applications, while a physics degree focuses solely on the theoretical study of physics.

Question 2: Which degree is more suitable for a career in research?

Both degrees can lead to a career in research, but a physics degree may be more suitable for pure research in fields such as astrophysics or particle physics, while an engineering physics degree may be better for applied research in areas such as materials science or renewable energy.

Question 3: Can I pursue a graduate degree in either field with either degree?

Yes, you can pursue a graduate degree in either field with either degree. However, some graduate programs may have specific prerequisites or prefer applicants with a certain degree, so it is important to research and plan accordingly.

Question 4: Which degree is more math-intensive?

Both degrees require a strong foundation in mathematics, but an engineering physics degree may be more math-intensive as it involves the application of mathematical principles to solve engineering problems.

Question 5: What are the career options for each degree?

Career options for an engineering physics degree include working as an engineer, research scientist, or in industries such as aerospace or renewable energy. A physics degree may lead to careers in research, academia, or industries such as technology or healthcare.