How far would you go for science?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Science
In summary, the article discusses the possible implications of transporter technology, specifically the fears of being transported as a copy with all memories intact. It suggests introducing a non-replicable element that would prove someone is truly transported.

What would you be willing to do

• Go to the space station

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • Go to the moon

• Go to Mars

Votes: 17 68.0%
  • Go on an interstellar mission

• Attempt time travel

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Attempt travel by teleportation

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • None of the above

Votes: 4 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Would you be willing to make a trip to Mars or the moon? How about the space station? On the extreme side, how about a 20 years long mission to another star [assuming that we know an interesting planet is found there, and during which time a couple of hundred years pass on earth? In the most extreme, would you jump in a time machine that appears to work? How about a Star Trek style transporter?

Physics news on Phys.org
I voted 'none of the above'. However, I would be willing to spend every waking hour of my life working on helping someone else achieve the other options. I never was much of an adrenaline junkie.

I clicked all of them, except for the Tim travel one. I'd never attempt it, but I would study the results of it.

Well, the interstellar mission part sounds like
a bit too much - I think I could be more usefull
down here... :wink: But, sign me up first for Mars !

I would do just about anything of a science nature, as long as I am the one working on it.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
Would you be willing to make a trip to Mars or the moon? How about the space station? On the extreme side, how about a 20 years long mission to another star [assuming that we know an interesting planet is found there, and during which time a couple of hundred years pass on earth?
Yes.

In the most extreme, would you jump in a time machine that appears to work? How about a Star Trek style transporter?
I'd only jump in a time machine or a transporter that really works, but not the one that appears to work. Which means I won't be the first few guys to do it.

Originally posted by KL Kam
Yes.

I'd only jump in a time machine or a transporter that really works, but not the one that appears to work. Which means I won't be the first few guys to do it.

How could you be sure that the person who transported is truly the same person who materialized? Could a copy of the body and consciousness pop out of the aether, identical in every way to the ones that left, but with the original consciousness lost and no one the wiser? We might produce an entire world of copies!

How could you be sure that the person who transported is truly the same person who materialized?
Do IQ tests, personality tests, personal history tests, etc to make sure the transported person is the same as the materialized one.

Could a copy of the body and consciousness pop out of the aether, identical in every way to the ones that left, but with the original consciousness lost and no one the wiser? We might produce an entire world of copies!
I don't think it's that easy to produce copies like that. Well, of course we'll use animals to try it out first beforehand.

Originally posted by Ivan Seeking
How could you be sure that the person who transported is truly the same person who materialized? Could a copy of the body and consciousness pop out of the aether, identical in every way to the ones that left, but with the original consciousness lost and no one the wiser? We might produce an entire world of copies!
"The Next Generation" occasionally touched on "transporter psychosis" and the fact that the food replicators were an offshoot from transporter technology. I often wondered if "transporter psychosis" were caused by the fear you were no longer the original, just an exact copy with all memories intact, just a replicant. The fact the food replicators could produce real matter from a mere recipe of that matter would tend to confirm this belief.

The problem is further complicated by the occasional "splitting" of characters due to transporter malfunction: Kirk into "Good" and "Evil" Kirk, and, in The Next Generation the episode where Number Two is split into two roughly equal people.

What happens during these splitting incidents isn't clear but it leaves the question of authentic transport vs copy open.

I thought what the writers of the show might do to get themselves out of this dilema is to introduce the existence of an element that cannot be replicated under any circumstances but which transports quite easily. To be transported holding a vial of this non-replicable element and arrive intact with the element, should be enough to quiet anyone's fears they are not themselves.

Presently, at least as I understand this stuff [which ain't much], Quantum Teleportation produces a copy of that "teleported". It could be that since we can't tell one electron or proton from another we can never really know, which probably would not really matter in this case anyway, but we don't know what it would mean to teleport a consciousness. Until consciousness can be precisely defined, I can never be sure if the person who just "teleported" really "materialized", or if they effectively died and an exact or inexact copy just took their place.

Of course, up scaling the teleportation of subatomic particles to that of teleporting humans is beyond any foreseeable technology. The complexity may well rule out any such possibility due to limitations on knowledge; e.g. by The Uncertainty Principle.

Does anyone know if we know yet? Is this kind of teleportation of complex systems implicitly disallowed; or is this strictly a matter of computing power, speed…things that might be manageable in a few thousand years?

All we really need are those darned Heisenberg Compensators from the Enterprise's Holo-deck.

Last edited:
If the teleported "you" is not the original "you" but an absolutlely identical copy, and "you" didn't even know the difference, then what does it matter?
(Unless, of course, you are religious and believe in the "soul". But even then, wouldn't you know if your soul wasn't there?)

Anyway...

Time travel (as it is commonly visualized) is not possible in my opinion, so "No" on that one.

The transporter thing...
I said this on another thread somewhere:
If we attained the capability to exactly map the location and interraction of every particle in the body...
Plus we had the ability to transform those particles into an EM wave (or some other signal)...
Plus we had the ability to take that signal and transform it BACK into the original form it was...
Transporters would be moot.
What's the point?
Just map the subject, send the signal of the map to the reciever and have the reciever generate a perfect facsimilie of the subject.
Instant cloning.
Unlimited disposable yous.
What's the point of transporting then?
Except the emotional aspect of "being there yourself", what is the practical and pragmatic value of a transporter?
You don't need to send any equipment when anything you need can be created out of "thin air" my simply manipulating EM waves.

As for the other options...
Sign me up.

Originally posted by one_raven
If the teleported "you" is not the original "you" but an absolutlely identical copy, and "you" didn't even know the difference, then what does it matter?
The copy wouldn't know the difference. The original "you", though, would be dead. This is why it makes a difference.

Last edited:
Bah, the Heisenberg compensators were part of the transporter system, not the holodeck. Evil Kirk was from a parallel universe; no "copies" were made of anyone.

Anyways, IIRC, the star trek universe explained that the current generation of transporters retained your original molecules in the transport, due to concerns people had about copies and stuff. I *think* this was explained in TNG, but implied that it was true in the original series's timeframe as well.

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Evil Kirk was from a parallel universe; no "copies" were made of anyone.
You are thinking of a different episode. The one I'm talking about had both "good" and "evil" Kirk, split by transporter malfunction, on the Enterprise at the same time. "Good" Kirk was so sensitive and vascillating he didn't dare make any command decisions. "Evil" Kirk was so reckless and self centered he was equally useless. Only by finding a way to recombine the two via transporter could things get back to normal.

Bah, the Heisenberg compensators were part of the transporter system, not the holodeck.

Oh yes, I was thinking of beaming Moriarty off of the holo-deck. .

Silly me...I skipped a lot my Heisenberg Compensator classes.

teleporters and stuff

Looks like I'm not just a coward but in the minority.

I regret to admit I would be very suspicious of any machine claiming to make copies of me or otherwise generate a situation where I might die and others might or might not notice.

Sad eh?

Bah, the Heisenberg compensators were part of the transporter system, not the holodeck. Evil Kirk was from a parallel universe; no "copies" were made of anyone.

Anyways, IIRC, the star trek universe explained that the current generation of transporters retained your original molecules in the transport, due to concerns people had about copies and stuff. I *think* this was explained in TNG, but implied that it was true in the original series's timeframe as well.

I heard that when asked how the Heisenberg compensators worked, one of the technical experts for ST responded, "They work very well, thank you."

Still you have wonder what might be lost in translation, so to speak.

1. How do you balance ethical considerations with scientific advancement?

As a scientist, it is important to always consider the potential ethical implications of our research. In order to strike a balance between scientific advancement and ethical concerns, we must carefully evaluate the potential risks and benefits of our research and make sure to follow ethical guidelines and regulations set by our institution and governing bodies.

2. How do you handle skepticism or criticism of your research?

Skepticism and criticism are important parts of the scientific process. As scientists, it is our responsibility to welcome and address any valid criticisms of our research. This could involve conducting further experiments or providing additional evidence to support our findings. It is also important to remain open-minded and consider alternative perspectives in order to continuously improve and refine our work.

3. What are the potential risks of pushing the boundaries of science?

Pushing the boundaries of science can lead to great advancements, but it also comes with potential risks. These risks could include unintended negative consequences, such as environmental harm or ethical concerns. As scientists, it is our responsibility to carefully consider and mitigate these risks in order to ensure that our research has a positive impact on society.

4. How do you ensure your research is accurate and reliable?

In order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of our research, we follow strict scientific methods and protocols. This includes conducting multiple experiments, analyzing data thoroughly, and having our results peer-reviewed by other experts in the field. We also strive for transparency in our methods and results, allowing for replication and verification by other scientists.

5. How do you prioritize your research goals and objectives?

Prioritizing research goals and objectives can be a challenging task as a scientist. It often involves considering the potential impact and significance of our research, as well as the available resources and time constraints. We also take into consideration the current state of the field and the potential for collaboration with other scientists. Ultimately, our goal is to conduct research that will contribute to the greater scientific knowledge and benefit society.