Engineering Help: Find the Integral for a Wire Coil

In summary, the individual is seeking an equation (integral) to predict the ideal width for a coil of wire with a specific length and thickness, resulting in an outer diameter of 1.5" and an inner diameter of 0.5". They typically spend their time in the engineering section, but have come to ask for help. The suggested equation uses the volume of a "hollow" cylinder and a length of wire to set the widths equal and solve for the ideal width. However, the individual's calculations do not match up with the suggested equation and they have experimented with a width of 0.6" which bulged out to 0.7" due to the tightness of the winding. The wire diameter is
willib
i am looking for an equation (integral) , so that i can predict what width to make a coil of wire , of certain length ,and thickness, so that it comes out to an outer diameter of 1.5" with an inner diameter of .5"..
i usually spend my time in the engineering section , but i thought that i would come to you , with this question..

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's what I would do: The volume of the "hollow" cylinder of inner radius r1 and outer radius r2 and height W (it's really the width of the coil) is [tex]\pi W(r_2^2-r_1^2)[/tex] which with r2= 1.5 and r1= 0.5 is [tex]\pi W(2.25- .25)= 2\pi W[/tex]. The volume of a length of wire of radius R and length L (a very thin cylinder) is [tex]\piLR^2[/tex]. Set those equal and solve for W: [tex]W= \frac{R^2L}{2}[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
thats not close to what i am getting ... by your equation , it comes out to .44376 " ...
i started winding with a width of 0.6" , and due to the tightness of my winding , it bulged out to 0.7 " tward the outer windings..
My wire diameter is 0.043 " , pretty thick wire..
and the reason i need to calculate the width is because my wire comes in certain lengths , specificly 480" .. and i would like to use all the wire for each coil that i am winding..and the inner & outer diameter have to be 0.5" & 1.5" respectively, so the only thing i can vary is the width..

Related to Engineering Help: Find the Integral for a Wire Coil

1. What is the purpose of finding the integral for a wire coil?

The integral of a wire coil is used to determine the total amount of wire needed to create the coil. This information is important for engineers in order to accurately calculate the cost and feasibility of a project.

2. What is the process for finding the integral of a wire coil?

The process for finding the integral of a wire coil involves using mathematical formulas and techniques to determine the total length of wire needed. This may include using the formula for the circumference of a circle or the arc length formula, depending on the shape of the coil.

3. How does the shape of the wire coil affect the integral calculation?

The shape of the wire coil can greatly impact the integral calculation. The more complex the shape, the more difficult it may be to accurately calculate the integral. In some cases, an approximate value may need to be used instead.

4. Are there any other factors that need to be considered when finding the integral for a wire coil?

Yes, there are several factors that engineers must consider when finding the integral for a wire coil. These include the diameter and thickness of the wire, the number of turns in the coil, and any additional factors that may affect the length of wire needed.

5. Can computer software be used to find the integral for a wire coil?

Yes, there are several computer programs and software that can assist engineers in finding the integral for a wire coil. These programs use advanced mathematical algorithms to accurately calculate the integral and provide a precise value for the length of wire needed.