Engineering Graduate Admission

In summary, the speaker is seeking guidance for their graduate school admission in Mechanical Engineering. They have a GPA of 2.87 from a Canadian university and no research or engineering work experience. They are looking for a plan for the next two years to improve their chances of getting into a reputable university and are interested in fields like mechatronics or aerospace. They are considering both academic and professional degrees and are hoping to gain in-depth knowledge in related topics and eventually work in industry-led research. They acknowledge having trouble with some undergraduate classes and are looking for ways to improve their GPA before applying to graduate schools. They are also seeking guidance on admission tests, research experience, internships, and letters of recommendation.
collegeomega
Hello guys,

Recently, I checked university sites, especially US universities, for graduate admission in Mechanical Engineering. I am interested in doing a program at a reputed university for good career prospects. I have a GPA of 2.87 /4.30 for the first two years cumulative at good Canadian university. I don't have any research experience or engineering work experience.

All the requirements and stuff are given on university websites but what I am looking for is a plan for next two years that would help me enter into a reputable college. I tried finding one online, but they are too general. I emailed our guidance counselor and she takes weeks if not months to reply to one single email.

I am quite concerned about my admission in graduate schools so please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you hope to get out of graduate school?

i'm not familiar with the Canadian system, but i would assume that your current GPA translates to less than a 3.0/4.0, which might indicate that you have some trouble with undergraduate classes? do you have any ideas why and if you can improve on how you have handled your classes thus far?

graduate school will be more in-depth and specialized than your undergraduate, which can be good or bad. good if you found yourself ace'ing a particular area, but bad as a competent understanding of the general breadth of the field is expected once you hit graduate school.

are you looking for a professional degree (Master of Engineering) or are you looking for an academic degree (Master of Science in Engineering)? if the first, having no research experience won't affect you as much as the second. MS in Engineering is the research-based route, while M.Eng is the professional route that prepares you with coursework-only for industry.

what do you hope to get out of graduate school?

I want to do masters in fields like mechatronics or aerospace that would provide me with indepth knowledge in related topics. I want to work in latest engineering technologies or industry led research. I think university research experience would be very useful if I want to get into industry led research.

i'm not familiar with the Canadian system, but i would assume that your current GPA translates to less than a 3.0/4.0, which might indicate that you have some trouble with undergraduate classes? do you have any ideas why and if you can improve on how you have handled your classes thus far?

You are right. I had problem in my second year first semester when I was introduced to hardcore engineering topics like Thermodynamics, Fluid Mechanics, and Dynamics. I am comfortable doing Physics but engineering approach is different. I don't like to blame my professors, but I had trouble understanding a few of them. Also, I slacked off a bit without knowing. All my friends were doing bad, I thought it was common and I didnt put in as much effort. My GPA in first year was good; it even put my name on Dean's list.
I think I can improve. I can bring up my GPA but not significantly because it already went so much down. I am afraid because when I look at sites or forums for graduate admission, high GPA is common among all of them.

are you looking for a professional degree (Master of Engineering) or are you looking for an academic degree (Master of Science in Engineering)? if the first, having no research experience won't affect you as much as the second. MS in Engineering is the research-based route, while M.Eng is the professional route that prepares you with coursework-only for industry.

I want to prepare for Master of Science in Engineering because it will not be difficult to change to Master of Engineering if I change my mind. However, it will be hard to do the other way around because I am lacking research experience or due to low GPA.

I hope you got a good understanding where I am. I tried to get some advise from my guidance counsellor but he takes forever to reply to my emails and has very little idea about American graduate admissions.
I need guidance, a plan for my next two years in engineering that contains admission tests, research experience, internship, and letters of recommendation. Also anything else I might be missing on the list. I am basically looking for advise on when and how to do all this stuff.

Last edited:

Related to Engineering Graduate Admission

What are the minimum requirements for admission to an engineering graduate program?

Admission requirements vary by program, but most engineering graduate programs require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in engineering or a related field, a strong academic record, and competitive scores on standardized tests such as the GRE. Additional requirements may include letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and/or relevant work experience. It is important to research the specific requirements of the program you are interested in applying to.

Do I need to have a specific engineering undergraduate degree to be admitted to a graduate program in engineering?

While many programs prefer applicants with a bachelor's degree in engineering, some may also accept applicants with a degree in a related field such as physics or mathematics. However, these applicants may be required to take additional coursework to meet the prerequisites for the graduate program.

What can I expect from the application process for an engineering graduate program?

The application process typically involves submitting an online application, transcripts, test scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also require an interview or a portfolio of work. It is important to check the specific requirements and deadlines for the program you are applying to and to allow enough time to gather and submit all necessary materials.

Are there any financial aid opportunities available for engineering graduate students?

Many engineering graduate programs offer financial aid opportunities such as scholarships, grants, and assistantships. You can also research external funding sources such as government agencies, private organizations, and fellowships. It is important to apply for financial aid early and to carefully review the requirements and deadlines for each opportunity.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in engineering part-time or online?

Some engineering graduate programs offer part-time or online options for students who are unable to attend classes on campus full-time. These programs may have different requirements and schedules than traditional on-campus programs, so it is important to research and compare your options to find the best fit for your needs and goals.