Engineering equations involving correlated variables

In summary, the conversation is about finding equations involving correlated variables in the field of engineering/science. The speaker clarifies that they are looking for a specific form of equation and provides examples of correlated variables, explaining that their goal is to study the statistical distribution of a quantity by generating correlated variables.
Valdes
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
Hello,

I'm carrying out an assignment on the simulation of correlated (random) variables. Can you suggest to me equations pertaining to the field of engineering (or science) that involve correlated variables? My question may sound redundant, because all equations create dependencies between the variables that appear in them, but let me clarify: I'm looking for something of the form of Y = f(X1, ..., Xn) where the Xi's are correlated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Valdes said:
Can you suggest to me equations pertaining to the field of engineering (or science) that involve correlated variables?
Can you give any examples of correlated variables in systems like you are asking about? What are the various types of correlated variables? How can you tell when variables are correlated? :smile:

Kinetic energy and speed are examples of correlated quantities. Two variables are correlated, in my sense of the word, if there exists a linear or nonlinear relationship between the two. The degree of correlation is measured by a correlation coefficient. My goal is to study the statistical distribution of some quantity Y = f(X1, ..., Xn) by generating the Xi's (and then generating Y) which are correlated.

Related to Engineering equations involving correlated variables

1. What are correlated variables in engineering equations?

Correlated variables are two or more variables that are related to each other in some way. In engineering equations, these variables are often interdependent and their values can affect each other.

2. How are correlated variables represented in engineering equations?

Correlated variables are usually represented using mathematical symbols such as letters or Greek symbols. These symbols are used to represent the different variables and their relationships in the equation.

3. What is the importance of considering correlated variables in engineering equations?

Considering correlated variables is important in engineering equations because it allows for a more accurate and realistic representation of the system being studied. Neglecting to account for correlated variables can lead to incorrect results and potentially dangerous designs.

4. How do engineers determine the correlation between variables in an equation?

Engineers use statistical methods and data analysis techniques to determine the correlation between variables in an equation. This involves collecting and analyzing data to identify any patterns or relationships between the variables.

5. Can correlated variables be controlled in engineering equations?

In some cases, engineers can control or manipulate correlated variables in an equation. This can be done through the use of control systems or by adjusting the values of certain variables to achieve a desired outcome.