Engineering Economy: Present Worth of Projected Savings

In summary, the present worth in year 0 of the projected savings that will occur between years 3 and 10 is $13,170.39. This can be calculated using the formula P = F(1/(1+i)^n) with a future worth of $25,912, an interest rate of 10% per year, and a number of periods of 7.
JJRKnights

Homework Statement

Standby Power for water utility pumps and other electrical devices is provided by diesel-powered generators. As an Alternative, the utility can use natural gas to power generators, but it will be a few years before the gas is available at remote sites. The utility estimates that by switching to gas, it will save $25,912 per year, starting 3 years from now. at an interest rate of 10% per year, determine the present worth in year 0 of the projected savings that will occur in years 3 through 10.

Homework Equations

P = F(1/(1+i)^n)

The Attempt at a Solution

Drew out the timeline, and have a arrow up at t = 3 with value 25,912. With the interest rate of 10% a year, does it go up in value or down? Also how do I even solve this problem, my professor is horrible, in the notes he gives you nothing relevant to the problems he assigns. I honestly am surprised that he even gets paid to teach.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

I would approach this problem by first identifying the relevant variables and organizing them in a timeline. The variables in this problem are the present worth (P), future worth (F), interest rate (i), and number of periods (n). The timeline should start at year 0, since that is the present time, and extend to year 10, since that is the last year of the projected savings.

Next, I would use the formula P = F(1/(1+i)^n) to calculate the present worth of the projected savings. In this case, the future worth (F) is $25,912, the interest rate (i) is 10% per year, and the number of periods (n) is 7 (since the savings start in year 3 and end in year 10).

Plugging these values into the formula, we get:
P = $25,912(1/(1+0.10)^7) = $25,912(0.5084) = $13,170.39

Therefore, the present worth in year 0 of the projected savings is $13,170.39.

To answer your question about the interest rate, in this case, the value goes down because we are discounting the future worth to its present value.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Engineering Economy: Present Worth of Projected Savings

1. What is the definition of "present worth of projected savings" in engineering economy?

The present worth of projected savings is a financial metric used in engineering economy to measure the value of a project in terms of the savings it will generate over its lifetime, adjusted for the time value of money.

2. How is the present worth of projected savings calculated?

The present worth of projected savings is calculated by taking the sum of the discounted cash flows of the projected savings over the project's lifetime. The discount rate used is typically the minimum acceptable rate of return for the project.

3. What is the importance of the present worth of projected savings in engineering economy?

The present worth of projected savings is an important metric in engineering economy because it helps to determine the financial feasibility of a project. It allows engineers to compare different projects and choose the most financially beneficial option.

4. How does the present worth of projected savings impact decision-making in engineering?

The present worth of projected savings is a key factor in decision-making in engineering because it helps to determine whether a project is financially viable and will generate a positive return on investment. Engineers use this metric to evaluate different options and make informed decisions.

5. What are some limitations of using the present worth of projected savings in engineering economy?

One limitation of using the present worth of projected savings is that it relies on accurate predictions of future savings, which can be difficult to make. Additionally, it does not take into account non-financial factors that may impact a project's success, such as environmental or societal impacts. It is important for engineers to consider these factors in conjunction with the present worth of projected savings when making decisions.