Engineering Dynamics - Car Striking a Barrier

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a car striking a barrier and the distance it penetrates the barrier. The solution involves using the principles of kinetic energy and work, and considering the graph of the force of resistance. The final answer is approximately 2.10 meters.
ConnorM

Homework Statement

A car, assumed to be rigid and having a mass of 800 kg, strikes a barrel-barrier installation without the driver applying the brakes. From experiments the magnitude of the force of resistance F_r, created by deforming the barrels successive, is shown as a function of the vehicle penetration, s. If the car strikes the barrier traveling at a velocity v_c = 60 km/h, determine approximately the distance s to which the car penetrates the barrier.

http://imgur.com/LYc87dW - here is a picture of my question. This has the graph of how the barrels resistance force increases with s.

Homework Equations

v_c = 60 km/h = 16.67 m/s
m = 800 kg

T (Kinetic energy) = 1/2 * mv^2

U_1->2 = ∫F ds

∑U_1->2 = T_2 - T_1

The Attempt at a Solution

Starting off I assumed that once the car had reached the distance s it will have zero kinetic energy. So my equation became

∑U_1->2 = - T_1,

∫F ds = - 1/2 *mv^2, would my bounds of integration be 0 -> s ?

I don't really know what to do, am I using the right principles here?

Physics news on Phys.org
You got it somewhat figured out. Keep in mind the signs when simplifying this:
$$E_{\text{Final}} - E_{\text{Initial}} = \int \vec{F}(\vec{s}) \cdot \text{d}\vec{s}$$

OK so then I would have,

∫F ds 0 -> s = - 1/2 *mv2

∫F ds 0 -> s = 111,155.56 J

So from the graph, 40 kN x 0.75m = 30 J

Then I need 111,155.56 J - 30,000 J = 81,155.56 J,

so 60 kN x s = 81,155.56 J

s = 81,155.56 J / 60 kN

s = 1.35 m, then 1.35m + 0.75m = 2.10m

I did something similar, but I don't get how you end up with 111,155.56 J. -1/2 (800)(60)^2 = 1,440,000. I wanted to go about it the same way as you but as I added up the separate distances, they went past the graph and still didn't get close to the amount of energy needed. Can anyone please clarify this?

... 5 seconds later I realize we use m/s not km/h in SI, after spending two hours trying to figure it out... sorry thanks anyways

Last edited:
ConnorM said:
OK so then I would have,

∫F ds 0 -> s = - 1/2 *mv2

∫F ds 0 -> s = 111,155.56 J

So from the graph, 40 kN x 0.75m = 30 J

Then I need 111,155.56 J - 30,000 J = 81,155.56 J,

so 60 kN x s = 81,155.56 J

s = 81,155.56 J / 60 kN

s = 1.35 m, then 1.35m + 0.75m = 2.10m
I think I'm taking the same dynamics course as you, I finished my CAP assignment yesterday so I might be able to help.

Remember Fr is opposite to the displacement therefore negative such that:

T1 + ∑U1→2 = T2
1/2mv^2 - Area = 0

Also you are measuring area so your units will be according to the graph "kN m" not "J" such that:

Area = 111155.56 N ft = 111.16 kN ft I also got "s = 2.10 m" as my final answer, so I'm assuming it's right.

Related to Engineering Dynamics - Car Striking a Barrier

1. What is Engineering Dynamics?

Engineering Dynamics is the study of how objects move and interact with each other under the influence of various forces.

2. How does a car striking a barrier relate to Engineering Dynamics?

When a car strikes a barrier, it experiences a sudden change in velocity and direction due to the impact forces. This event can be analyzed and understood using principles of Engineering Dynamics.

3. What are the main forces involved in a car striking a barrier?

The main forces involved in a car striking a barrier are the impact force, which is the force exerted by the barrier on the car, and the reaction force, which is the force exerted by the car on the barrier.

4. How does the speed of the car affect the impact forces?

The impact forces experienced by the car increase with increasing speed. This is because the kinetic energy of the car, which is directly proportional to its speed, is converted into impact forces upon collision with the barrier.

5. Can Engineering Dynamics be used to improve car safety?

Yes, Engineering Dynamics plays a crucial role in designing and improving the safety features of cars. By understanding the forces involved in a car striking a barrier, engineers can develop better safety mechanisms to protect passengers in the event of a collision.