Engineer who wants to do Mathematical Modelling.

In summary, the conversation is about an individual's interest in mathematical modelling and their concerns about their educational background not being strong enough to be admitted to a master's program in the field. They are considering alternative programs in engineering that focus on control and automation, but are unsure if it will be enough to compete with those from a traditional mathematical route. Another individual in a similar situation suggests looking for programs that have mathematical modelling as a formal option or area of research, and recommends being diversified in different fields instead of starting over with a degree in Mathematics.
Damtranos
Hello!

I am on my last year of study for my bachelor degree in Mechatronics. Looking back at my courses I can say that what I want to do with my life is mathematical modelling of systems (Be they technical, financial, whatever).

My favorite courses so far were the mathematical ones and the control engineering related ones. I really liked control theory! But my issue is that the mathematical background of my program is not the strongest and even though I have taken steps to address this through self-study, there is a good chance I won't be admitted on a master degree for mathematical modelling.

I have found alternative programs in engineering, mostly control and automation related that deal with mathematical modelling however. However I am concerned about whether those emphasize modelling specific technical systems which are mostly linear and that I will continue to lack the skillset to compete with someone who comes from a more traditional mathematical route.

So I am writing to ask for your advice and opinions/ideas. Do you believe that continuing my education in engineering and trying to squeeze in whatever modelling courses I can get to be sufficient? Should I start over with a degree in Mathematics? Or something else entirely? Please help me out ^^.

Thank you in advance for your response(s)!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm in a similar situation- although I do really like my field of engineering (nuclear) I want to do modeling & high performance computing. I'm looking for programs that have that as a formal option, or at least an area of research, so it's not really squeezing it in but more of a recognized area of interest. If you look through the grad programs in your field you might find them as well. Look in the bigger departments, I bet you'll find it.

My thinking is that it's probably good to be diversified, have a solid base in one field and an interest in another, complementary one. I sure wouldn't start over if I could help it.

Related to Engineer who wants to do Mathematical Modelling.

1. What is Mathematical Modelling?

Mathematical Modelling is the process of creating mathematical representations or simulations of real-life systems and phenomena. It involves using mathematical equations and algorithms to analyze and predict behavior, patterns, and outcomes of these systems.

2. How can an engineer use Mathematical Modelling?

Engineers can use Mathematical Modelling to design and optimize complex systems, such as structures, machines, and processes. It can also be used to simulate and test the performance of these systems before implementing them in the real world.

3. What skills are required for a career in Mathematical Modelling?

To be successful in Mathematical Modelling, one needs a strong foundation in mathematics, including calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Other useful skills include programming, problem-solving, and critical thinking.

4. What are the benefits of using Mathematical Modelling in engineering?

Using Mathematical Modelling in engineering can save time, resources, and costs by allowing engineers to test and optimize designs before physically building them. It also enables engineers to explore different scenarios and make informed decisions based on data and analysis.

5. What are some common applications of Mathematical Modelling in engineering?

Mathematical Modelling is used in various fields of engineering, including civil, mechanical, electrical, and chemical engineering. Some common applications include designing and optimizing structures, predicting the behavior of fluids and gases, and simulating the performance of electrical circuits and systems.