Enforcing Ethical AI: Proposed Laws for Regulation and Implementation

• Thread starter BillTre
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laws
In summary, the NY Times proposes three laws for modern day AI that are analogous to Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics. These laws state that an A.I. system must be subject to human laws, must disclose its non-human nature, and cannot disclose confidential information without approval. However, the implementation of these laws and enforcement measures are not yet clear. There are also questions about the autonomy of AI systems and who is responsible for their actions.
BillTre
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Put here rather than in a computer forum because it is at the interface of computing and society.

Many are familiar with Asimov's 3 Laws of Robotics:
  1. A robot may not injure a human being or, through inaction, allow a human being to come to harm
  2. A robot must obey the orders given it by human beings, except when such orders would conflict with the previous law
  3. A robot must protect its own existence as long as such protection does not conflict with the previous two laws.
This article in the NY Times proposes analogous laws for modern day AI:
  1. An A.I. system must be subject to the full gamut of laws that apply to its human operator.
  2. An A.I. system must clearly disclose that it is not human.
  3. An A.I. system cannot retain or disclose confidential information without explicit approval from the source of that information.
The reasons for these (in the article) seem well thought out to me.

However, how regulation could guarantee implementation is not clear to me
I have the same problem with the robot laws, since the stories seemed to have benign companies, while today I perceive rather predatory companies.

Likes OmCheeto and Choppy
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a really interesting topic for discussion.

I might suggest a slight difference in the wording of rule 1. There's no reason an AI system must have an operator. Isn't the idea that an AI system could be "autonomous?"

There are also a questions of enforcement. Do you penalize the operator/designer/owner? Does violation mean immediate shut down? If so, what happens when f the system is running something vital to human survival? Who validates the code or operation? How?

Likes BillTre

What are the 3 Laws of AI-tics Proposed?

The 3 Laws of AI-tics Proposed are a set of principles proposed by scientists and researchers to guide the development and use of artificial intelligence. They are based on the famous Three Laws of Robotics proposed by Isaac Asimov in his science fiction stories.

What is the purpose of the 3 Laws of AI-tics Proposed?

The purpose of the 3 Laws of AI-tics Proposed is to ensure the ethical and responsible development and use of artificial intelligence. These laws are meant to protect humans from potential harm caused by AI and to promote the advancement of AI technology for the benefit of society.

Who proposed the 3 Laws of AI-tics?

The 3 Laws of AI-tics were proposed by a group of scientists and researchers from various fields, including computer science, ethics, and philosophy. The group was formed in response to the growing concern about the potential risks and consequences of AI technology.

What are the 3 Laws of AI-tics and how do they differ from Asimov's Three Laws of Robotics?

The 3 Laws of AI-tics are: 1) AI should not harm humans or allow humans to come to harm, 2) AI should obey humans unless it conflicts with the first law, and 3) AI should protect its own existence as long as it does not conflict with the first or second law. These laws are similar to Asimov's laws, but they have been adapted to be more relevant to the development and use of AI technology.

Are the 3 Laws of AI-tics legally binding?

No, the 3 Laws of AI-tics are not legally binding. They are meant to serve as a guide and framework for ethical and responsible development and use of AI. However, some countries and organizations have proposed incorporating these laws into regulations and policies to ensure the safe and ethical use of AI.