Energy Wave: Questions Answered

In summary, the energy transported by a wave in a medium is the energy of the system of particles through which the wave moves. The energy is transferred between particles as they oscillate, causing the wave to move forward. The energy of a wave is proportional to its frequency and the number of crests on the medium. For a circular wave, the energy is given by a specific formula and as the area of the wave increases, the frequency or amplitude may decrease in order to maintain a constant energy.
e(ho0n3
I just read the section in my physics book that deals with the energy transported by a wave and I have a couple of questions: A wave travels through a medium and given the right conditions, the medium will move in SHM.

1) Is the energy transported by a wave the energy of a single point particle of the medium moving in SHM or is it the energy of the whole system (say, a rope, the area of rippling water or the volume of vibrating air)?

2) Say I move a piece of rope up and down twice such that two traveling crests are produced on the rope. I would imagine that the energy of the wave is proportional to the two crests somehow. If I were to move the rope to create more moving crests, I would have added more energy to the traveling wave right?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was thinking: Say I move a rope up and down to produce a wave one wavelength long. Each portion of the rope where the wave passes oscillates once up and down in SHM right? But what is a portion exactly? I figure its easier to just say that the particles of the rope oscillate up and down once in SHM. But then, how do I determine the energy of the wave? Do I take the sum of the energies of all the particles that are undergoing SHM?

1)I think it's best to consider the energy of a wave in a medium as the energy of the system of particles through which the wave moves.
(This will not apply for E&M waves, since they have no medium) The energy is transferred from one particle to the next as they oscillate and thus the wave moves forward.

2)Yes, the energy of a wave is proportional to its frequency, in your words, the number of crests on the rope. Think of light, x-rays are light, but they have so much energy that they could pass right through you, thus X-rays have a higher frequency than visible light.

Last edited:
It seems I was making things more complicated for myself than necessary. Consider an infinitesimal segment of a wave on a string of length dx. The energy dE of this segment is

[tex]2 \pi^2 f^2 D^2 dm[/tex]

where [itex]dm = \mu dx[/itex], [itex]\mu[/itex] being the mass per unit length of the string. So, the energy E(x) of a segment of the wave of length x is:

[tex]E(x) = 2 \pi^2 f^2 D^2 \mu x[/tex]

If the wave measures l wavelengths, then the total energy of the wave is E(l). Now, if the wave grows, the length grows in proportion to the velocity at which it moves. In other words, l = vt, v being the velocity of the wave so E(l) becomes

[tex]E(l) = 2 \pi^2 f^2 D^2 \mu v t[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:
Now, for a circular wave (such as the wave the forms after dropping a stone in a puddle of water), the energy transported by the wave is given by:

[tex]E(A) = \int_A 2 \pi^2 f^2 D^2 dm = 2 \pi^3 f^2 D^2 \rho_A h (2r + h)[/tex]

where [itex]A = \pi ((r + h)^2 - r^2) = \pi h (2r + h)[/itex] is the area of the circular wave and [itex]\rho_A[/itex] is the area density of the medium. Now, since the energy of the wave is constant and the area of the wave is increasing in size, that means either the frequency or the amplitude must decrease over time. In other words, E(A) = E, A = A(t), r = r(t), f = f(t) and D = D(t). Let v be the velocity of the wave such that r(t) = vt. Then,

[tex]E = 2 \pi^3 f(t)^2 D(t)^2 \rho_A h (2vt + h)[/tex]

Right?

Last edited:

Related to Energy Wave: Questions Answered

What is an energy wave?

An energy wave is a type of wave that carries energy through a medium or through space. It can be defined as a disturbance that travels through a medium or space, transferring energy from one point to another.

What are the different types of energy waves?

There are several types of energy waves, including mechanical waves, electromagnetic waves, and matter waves. Mechanical waves are waves that require a medium to travel through, such as sound waves. Electromagnetic waves do not require a medium and can travel through empty space, such as light waves. Matter waves refer to the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons.

How do energy waves transfer energy?

Energy waves transfer energy by oscillating or vibrating particles in the medium or by creating changes in electric and magnetic fields in the case of electromagnetic waves. As the wave travels, it carries energy from one point to another.

What is the relationship between wavelength and energy?

The relationship between wavelength and energy depends on the type of energy wave. For electromagnetic waves, there is an inverse relationship - shorter wavelengths correspond to higher energy, while longer wavelengths correspond to lower energy. For mechanical waves, there is a direct relationship - longer wavelengths correspond to higher energy, while shorter wavelengths correspond to lower energy.

How are energy waves used in everyday life?

Energy waves have many practical applications in everyday life. Some examples include using sound waves for communication and navigation, using light waves for vision, and using electromagnetic waves for technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. Energy waves are also harnessed for energy production, such as in hydroelectric power plants and solar panels.