Energy to compress a spring 3 units

In summary: So if you compute the work $W$, that would be the energy needed to move the block 3 units.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the energy required to move a block on a frictionless surface a distance of 3 units. The forces acting on the block are given by \(F = e^x\) in the positive x direction and \(kx\) in the negative x direction, where k is the spring constant. Different approaches are suggested, including using Newton's 2nd law and the principle of conservation of energy. Finally, it is concluded that the work done on the block, given by \(W=\int_0^3 (e^{x}-kx) \, dx\), would
Dustinsfl
Consider a block on a frictionless surface. The force applied the block in the positive x direction is \(F = e^x\) and the force in the negative x is \(kx\) where k is the spring constant.

How is the energy required determined to move the block 3 units?

I set up Newton's 2nd but I don't think that is going to help:
\[
\ddot{x} + \frac{k}{m}x = \frac{1}{m}e^x
\]
Then I set up CoE assuming at 3 units, we only have \(PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2\) and the block at rest only has \(KE = e^x\).
\[
e^x = \frac{1}{2}kx^2
\]
but this will only tell me the spring constant.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
dwsmith said:
Consider a block on a frictionless surface. The force applied the block in the positive x direction is \(F = e^x\) and the force in the negative x is \(kx\) where k is the spring constant.

How is the energy required determined to move the block 3 units?

I set up Newton's 2nd but I don't think that is going to help:
\[
\ddot{x} + \frac{k}{m}x = \frac{1}{m}e^x
\]
Then I set up CoE assuming at 3 units, we only have \(PE = \frac{1}{2}kx^2\) and the block at rest only has \(KE = e^x\).
\[
e^x = \frac{1}{2}kx^2
\]
but this will only tell me the spring constant.
For starters we have no given information to tell us that the block is not moving initially, or at least you didn't post it, so your analysis of the balancing point x may be in error. Anyway unless you need an equation of motion we can do this more directly by considering the work done on the box:
\(\displaystyle W = \int _0 ^3 F \cdot dx\)

where \(\displaystyle F = e^x - kx\). Be careful of the direction of F...it will be positive on some interval and negative on another. I leave that one to you.

-Dan

topsquark said:
For starters we have no given information to tell us that the block is not moving initially, or at least you didn't post it, so your analysis of the balancing point x may be in error. Anyway unless you need an equation of motion we can do this more directly by considering the work done on the box:
\(\displaystyle W = \int _0 ^3 F \cdot dx\)

where \(\displaystyle F = e^x - kx\). Be careful of the direction of F...it will be positive on some interval and negative on another. I leave that one to you.

-Dan

Can you explain this more?

topsquark's approach is probably the simplest. We know that
$$W=\int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r},$$
technically. So if the net force is in the direction of travel, we'll get positive work done by that force, otherwise negative. In this case, the spring force is always to the left, and the exponential force is always to the right. The effect of the spring force is simply going to be to increase the amount of work required. So you must compute
$$W=\int_0^3 (e^{x}-kx) \, dx.$$
Does that answer your question?

Ackbach said:
topsquark's approach is probably the simplest. We know that
$$W=\int \mathbf{F} \cdot d\mathbf{r},$$
technically. So if the net force is in the direction of travel, we'll get positive work done by that force, otherwise negative. In this case, the spring force is always to the left, and the exponential force is always to the right. The effect of the spring force is simply going to be to increase the amount of work required. So you must compute
$$W=\int_0^3 (e^{x}-kx) \, dx.$$
Does that answer your question?

I was mainly asking about the positive negative switch. That is determined by k though which we don't know.

Right. If $k<e$, you get no switching, if $k=e$ you get one intersection, and if $k>e$ you get two switches. However, I don't think the force in the work integral is a magnitude. That is, I don't think you have to split the integral up into regions, and use different expressions depending on where the two graphs intersect. Work can definitely be negative. In other words, you can compute
$$W=\int_0^3 \left( e^{x}-kx \right) \, dx,\quad \text{not} \quad \int_0^3 \left| e^x - kx \right| \, dx.$$

Ackbach said:
Right. If $k<e$, you get no switching, if $k=e$ you get one intersection, and if $k>e$ you get two switches. However, I don't think the force in the work integral is a magnitude. That is, I don't think you have to split the integral up into regions, and use different expressions depending on where the two graphs intersect. Work can definitely be negative. In other words, you can compute
$$W=\int_0^3 \left( e^{x}-kx \right) \, dx,\quad \text{not} \quad \int_0^3 \left| e^x - kx \right| \, dx.$$

Also, how would I go from work to energy afterwards?

dwsmith said:
Also, how would I go from work to energy afterwards?

The work computed in this way would BE the energy: work has units of joules, the same as energy.

Related to Energy to compress a spring 3 units

1. How is energy used to compress a spring?

When a force is applied to a spring, it causes the spring to compress or stretch. This results in the stored potential energy within the spring being converted into kinetic energy. The amount of energy required to compress a spring 3 units depends on the stiffness or spring constant of the spring and the distance it is compressed.

2. How is the energy of a compressed spring calculated?

The energy of a compressed spring can be calculated using the formula E = 1/2kx^2, where E is the energy, k is the spring constant, and x is the distance the spring is compressed. This formula shows that the energy is directly proportional to the square of the distance the spring is compressed. Therefore, compressing a spring by 3 units will require more energy compared to compressing it by 1 unit.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy needed to compress a spring?

The amount of energy needed to compress a spring depends on the stiffness or spring constant of the spring, the distance it is compressed, and the mass of the object compressing the spring. Additionally, factors such as temperature, friction, and the material of the spring can also affect the amount of energy needed.

4. Can the energy used to compress a spring be recovered?

Yes, the energy used to compress a spring can be recovered when the spring is allowed to return to its original state. This is known as elastic potential energy, and it can be converted back into kinetic energy when the spring is released. However, some energy may be lost due to friction and other external factors.

5. How is the energy of a compressed spring used in everyday life?

The energy of a compressed spring is used in various everyday objects, such as toys, car suspensions, and pogo sticks. It is also used in industrial applications, such as in shock absorbers, springs in machines, and in the design of bridges and buildings. Additionally, the concept of compressed springs is used in sports equipment, such as trampolines and diving boards, to provide a spring-like effect.