Energy-time uncertainty principle

In summary, the energy-time uncertainty principle is a fundamental law of quantum mechanics that states that the more precisely the energy of a particle is known, the less precisely its time of occurrence can be determined, and vice versa. This principle highlights the inherent uncertainty and indeterminacy of the behavior of particles at the quantum level, and has significant implications for our understanding of the nature of reality. It is a key concept in the field of quantum mechanics and has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.
beda
I feel there are several non-eqivalent interpretations of energy-tme uncertainty principle.It is right?And if so,what are those corrects?In particular one that sees it (the uncertainty energy-time ) as a chance of violate conservation of energy for a time sufficently small.I would be grateful if someone schow my texs or articles on this topic.Thanks.Sergio

Physics news on Phys.org
Demystifier said:
That's right. For more details see e.g.
http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/quant-ph/0105049

Thanks for the link, that paper was interesting. I searched the paper for mention of tunneling, but none were found.

It had always been my understanding that energy-time uncertainty could be used to explain some kinds of quantum tunneling. Is that correct?

anorlunda said:
Thanks for the link, that paper was interesting. I searched the paper for mention of tunneling, but none were found.

It had always been my understanding that energy-time uncertainty could be used to explain some kinds of quantum tunneling. Is that correct?
I believe that energy-time uncertainty is used for explanation of tunneling only in popular books on quantum physics, not in serious scientific texts.

In QM tunneling can it even be said that the particle spends any real time inside the barrier? You cannot find it there.

Jilang said:
In QM tunneling can it even be said that the particle spends any real time inside the barrier? You cannot find it there.

Its an unequivocal prediction of the theory - it can be found there if you were to measure it.

Thanks
Bill

Likes Demystifier

Related to Energy-time uncertainty principle

What is the energy-time uncertainty principle?

The energy-time uncertainty principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to simultaneously determine the exact energy and time of a quantum system. This means that the more precisely we measure the energy of a particle, the less precisely we can know its measurement in time, and vice versa.

Who first proposed the energy-time uncertainty principle?

The energy-time uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927. He introduced this principle as part of his uncertainty principle, which also includes the position-momentum uncertainty principle.

What is the significance of the energy-time uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics?

The energy-time uncertainty principle is significant in quantum mechanics because it puts a fundamental limit on our ability to measure the energy and time of a particle. It also highlights the inherently probabilistic nature of quantum systems, where we can only make predictions about the behavior of particles rather than determining their exact properties.

How is the energy-time uncertainty principle related to the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The energy-time uncertainty principle is a specific case of the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that there is a fundamental limit to the precision with which certain pairs of physical properties of a particle can be known simultaneously. The energy and time are one such pair of properties, and the energy-time uncertainty principle provides a more precise understanding of the uncertainty in these measurements.

How does the energy-time uncertainty principle affect our everyday lives?

While the energy-time uncertainty principle may seem to only apply to the microscopic world of quantum mechanics, it has significant implications for our everyday lives. It forms the basis of modern technologies, such as transistors, lasers, and computer memory, which rely on the principles of quantum mechanics. Without this understanding of uncertainty, many of our modern technologies would not be possible.