Energy & Spring: Rejuvenate Your Life

In summary: Here is my attempt:But I just can't understand when do we have to use Hooke’s law and when energy equationsMostly, you want to use forces when the situation of interest is zero acceleration. That means forces are in balance.When the situation is zero velocity, as here when the spring is under maximum strain, energy conservation is useful because you know the KE is zero.Energy is also useful for the second part because you want to find a velocity, not an acceleration.I solved the first one so It doesn't really matter.This is not a constructive answer. In order to guide you to be able to solve the second, you need to show us how you have solved the first
NickStar
Homework Statement
In two cases two weights are tied using a string, and one of them is also tied to a spring(k=50N/m). Two weights are released when the spring is not compressed.
1) What is the maximum strain of the spring
2) What is the speed of the weight which is tied to the spring when the strain is 10cm

I need to solve this for two cases

I solved the first one using energy laws(but I couldn't solve this using Hooke's Law and I didn't understand why) if you could solve the first one using Hooke's Law, I would be really thankful)
And I have no clue how to solve the second one

Everything there is written in Hebrew
Relevant Equations
K=1/2kx^2
deltaE=W
Снимок экрана 2019-12-31 в 11.47.29.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Why would you use Hooke’s law? Is the problem asking you explicitly to use Hooke’s law? Please also show your solution to 1 using energy laws.

Orodruin said:
Why would you use Hooke’s law? Is the problem asking you explicitly to use Hooke’s law? Please also show your solution to 1 using energy laws.
No, it's not. But I just can't understand when do we have to use Hooke’s law and when energy equations. And the most important is the second part(with speed) (I can't even get something close to the right answer)

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpg
    IMG_4180.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 105
Generally, it is going to be easier to use conservation laws whenever you can get away with it.

Please type out your attempts (with your steps explained) instead of attaching rotated images of questionable quality. (See the homework guidelines)

Likes NickStar
Orodruin said:
Generally, it is going to be easier to use conservation laws whenever you can get away with it.

Please type out your attempts (with your steps explained) instead of attaching rotated images of questionable quality. (See the homework guidelines)

I solved the first one so It doesn't really matter. But I really need to solve the second one(I have no clue how to do it) Here is my attempt:

Attachments

• IMG_4182.jpg
    IMG_4182.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 121
NickStar said:
But I just can't understand when do we have to use Hooke’s law and when energy equations
Mostly, you want to use forces when the situation of interest is zero acceleration. That means forces are in balance.
When the situation is zero velocity, as here when the spring is under maximum strain, energy conservation is useful because you know the KE is zero.

Energy is also useful for the second part because you want to find a velocity, not an acceleration.

NickStar said:
I solved the first one so It doesn't really matter.
This is not a constructive answer. In order to guide you to be able to solve the second, you need to show us how you have solved the first because (obviously) they are related to each other as they relate to the same system and the considerations necessary are very much alike. When we ask you to provide something, it is for your own benefit and for us to be able to help you better, please keep this in mind.

Related to Energy & Spring: Rejuvenate Your Life

1. What is energy and why is it important?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It is important because it is required for all biological and physical processes in our bodies and in the world around us. Without energy, we would not be able to move, think, or grow.

2. How does spring rejuvenate our lives?

Spring is a time of renewal and growth. The warmer weather, longer days, and blooming flowers can boost our mood and energy levels. It is also a time for new beginnings and a chance to let go of old habits and embrace new ones.

3. What are some ways to increase energy and rejuvenate our lives?

There are many ways to increase energy and rejuvenate our lives, such as getting regular exercise, eating a balanced and nutritious diet, getting enough sleep, practicing relaxation techniques, and spending time in nature. It is also important to find activities that bring joy and passion to our lives.

4. How does energy impact our overall health and well-being?

Energy plays a crucial role in our overall health and well-being. It affects our physical, mental, and emotional health. When we have low energy, we may feel sluggish, unmotivated, and irritable. On the other hand, having high energy levels can improve our mood, productivity, and overall quality of life.

5. How can we maintain a healthy balance of energy in our lives?

To maintain a healthy balance of energy, it is important to prioritize self-care and listen to our body's needs. This includes getting enough rest, eating well, managing stress, and engaging in activities that bring us joy and fulfillment. It is also important to be mindful of our energy levels and make adjustments as needed to avoid burnout.