Energy Spectrum of Two-State System

So in this case, since \hat{H} = \sum \lvert i \rangle h_i \langle i \rvert + \Delta (\lvert 1 \rangle \langle 2 \rvert + \lvert 2 \rangle \langle 1 \rvert), you just plug in the appropriate values for the kets and bras in the matrix I gave you above.
atomicpedals

Homework Statement

A two-state system has Hamiltonian

[itex]\sum |i\right\rangle hi \left\langle i| + Δ (| 1 \right\rangle \left\langle 2| + |2 \right\rangle \left\langle 1 |)[/itex]

Where, [itex]\left\langle i | j \right\rangle = \deltaij[/itex], [itex]hi[/itex], and Δ are real.

Compute the energy spectrum of this Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

What is this question asking me to do? What is meant by "energy spectrum"?

Also; tried cleaning up the tex but something's not right and I can't seem to tell what (other than I'm on a different computer than I normally use).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
atomicpedals said:

Homework Statement

A two-state system has Hamiltonian

[itex]\sum | i \rangle h_i \langle i | + \Delta (| 1 \rangle \langle 2 | + | 2 \rangle \langle 1 |)[/itex]

Where, [itex]\langle i | j \rangle = \delta_{ij}[/itex], [itex]h_i[/itex], and Δ are real.

Compute the energy spectrum of this Hamiltonian.

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

What is this question asking me to do? What is meant by "energy spectrum"?

Also; tried cleaning up the tex but something's not right and I can't seem to tell what (other than I'm on a different computer than I normally use).
The problem wants you to find all possible results if you measure the energy of the system.

Thanks!

Ok, my hamiltonian here is an hermitian operator plus a laplacian. This also tells me that |1> and <2| are vectors ([1,0] and [0,1] I think). As a painfully basic question of working with bras and kets, what is the operation (if that's the right word) |1><2| telling me to do?

Δ is just a number, not the Laplacian.

Try calculating the matrix that represents the Hamiltonian in the [itex]\vert 1 \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\vert 2 \rangle[/itex] basis.

Ah, ok, Δ being a number makes life a bit easier (I've just gotten use to it being a Laplacian every other time the prof uses it).

I'm probably getting held up on notation (that I don't know what |1><2| means); and I'm not totally sure what you mean by calculating the matrix that represents the Hamiltonian in the [itex]\vert 1 \rangle[/itex] and [itex]\vert 2 \rangle[/itex] basis. Should this result in a diagonalized matrix?

You really need to go back and learn the basics of how operators and matrices are related. What I'm telling you to do is find the matrix
\begin{bmatrix}
\langle 1 | \hat{H} | 1 \rangle & \langle 1 | \hat{H} | 2 \rangle \\
\langle 2 | \hat{H} | 1 \rangle & \langle 2 | \hat{H} | 2 \rangle
\end{bmatrix}
Surely your textbook goes over Dirac notation.

I am, and it does (we're using both Merzbacher and Griffiths, leaves me in a bit of an information over load).

Let [itex]\hat{A} = \lvert a \rangle\langle b \rvert[/itex]. Say you want to calculate [itex]\langle \psi \lvert \hat{A} \rvert \phi \rangle[/itex]. You have
[tex]\langle \psi \lvert \hat{A} \rvert \phi \rangle = \langle \psi \lvert (\lvert a \rangle\langle b \rvert) \rvert \phi \rangle[/tex]It works just like the notation suggests:
[tex]\langle \psi \lvert \hat{A} \rvert \phi \rangle = \langle \psi \lvert \lvert a \rangle\langle b \rvert \rvert \phi \rangle = \langle \psi \vert a \rangle \langle b \vert \phi \rangle[/tex]

Related to Energy Spectrum of Two-State System

1. What is a two-state system?

A two-state system is a physical system that can exist in two distinct states, typically referred to as the "ground state" and the "excited state". These states are characterized by different energy levels, and the system can transition between them by absorbing or emitting energy.

2. What is the energy spectrum of a two-state system?

The energy spectrum of a two-state system is the set of all possible energy values that the system can possess. It is typically represented as a graph with the two states on the x-axis and the corresponding energy levels on the y-axis.

3. How is the energy spectrum of a two-state system determined?

The energy spectrum of a two-state system is determined by the Hamiltonian operator, which is a mathematical representation of the total energy of the system. The eigenvalues of the Hamiltonian operator correspond to the energy levels in the spectrum.

4. What is the significance of the energy spectrum in a two-state system?

The energy spectrum of a two-state system is significant because it determines the allowed energy values for the system. This, in turn, affects the behavior and properties of the system, such as its stability and the likelihood of transitions between states.

5. Can the energy spectrum of a two-state system be changed?

Yes, the energy spectrum of a two-state system can be changed by altering the parameters of the system, such as the strength of the interaction between the two states or the external environment. This can result in a shift or splitting of the energy levels in the spectrum.