Energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k)

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the energy spectrum from a dispersion relation, with given model parameters. The equation does not have the usual form of a tight-binding equation and comes from the renormalization of a more complex structure. The goal is to solve for E, but complex energies are obtained. This could indicate states with finite lifetimes. Different software packages may be used to check the results.
sherumann
Hi. What I'm trying to do is to obtain the energy spectrum from the following dispersion relation:

[tex]E^4-A·E^3+B·E^2-C·E+D-F·E^2·cos(k·a_0)^2+G·E·cos(k·a_0)^2-H·cos(k·a_0)^2 = 0[/tex]

where E is the energy, k is the wave vector and a0 the distance between adjacent neighbors in a 1-Dimensional lattice with a two-atom basis, with some weird on-site energies.

Given the following model parameters:

A = -48.37528081
B = +877.6426691
C = -7077.321036
D = +21403.79575
F = -0.00002232761528
G = +0.0005479196789
H = -0.003361487230

I keep getting imaginary energies! What I do is simply solve the equation for E given some values for k. Am I doing it wrong? Or the parameters must be wrong? Please help! :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does that equation come from? That doesn't have the usual form of a tight-binding equation.

kanato said:
Where does that equation come from? That doesn't have the usual form of a tight-binding equation.

It comes from the renormalization of a more complex structure in terms of some on-site energies. I yet don't understand very well were it comes from (I'm sure about the dispersion relation, though), all I want to know is if what I'm doing is right or not...

Well all you're doing is solving for E, right? It's an algebraic problem at this point, and the physics has been done. Since it's a 4th order polynomial, there are four solutions, which may be real or complex.

If everything is correct, and you are getting complex energies, then that would mean you have states with finite lifetimes. How are you solving for E? Many software packages can find roots of polynomials, have you checked with different ones?

If there is a renormalization process, then the energy could be complex
the imaginary of the energy represent the lifetime of that particular state.

Related to Energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k)

1. What is an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k)?

An energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) is a graphical representation of the relationship between energy (E) and wave vector (k) for a particular system or material. It shows the allowed energy states of the system as a function of the wave vector and can provide valuable information about the physical properties of the system.

2. How is an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) determined?

An energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) is determined by solving the dispersion relation, which is a mathematical relationship between the energy and momentum of a system. This involves using theoretical models and experimental data to calculate the energy states and their corresponding wave vectors.

3. What does the shape of an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) indicate?

The shape of an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) can provide insights into the electronic band structure of a material. For example, a flat or constant curve indicates a free electron-like behavior, while a curved or non-linear shape indicates a more complex energy-momentum relationship.

4. How does an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) relate to the properties of a material?

An energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) can reveal important information about the electronic and optical properties of a material, such as its conductivity, bandgap, and optical absorption. This information is crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of materials in various applications.

5. Can an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) be experimentally measured?

Yes, an energy spectrum from dispersion relation E(k) can be experimentally measured using techniques such as angle-resolved photoemission spectroscopy (ARPES) and inelastic neutron scattering. These experiments provide direct measurements of the energy states and their corresponding wave vectors, allowing for detailed analysis of the material's properties.