Energy Spectrum for Hamiltonian

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the energy spectrum of a system with a Hamiltonian consisting of an unperturbed term and a perturbation. The concept of energy spectrum is clarified as the set of possible energy eigenvalues. The value of lambda in the equation for the Hamiltonian is also explained, with a value of 1 indicating a fully perturbed system. The number of energy eigenvalues and the role of the perturbation in shifting or adding/removing eigenvalues is also discussed.
degerativpart

Homework Statement

Find the energy spectrum of a system whose Hamiltonian is
H=Ho+H'=[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2+ax^3+bx^4

I gues my big question to begin is what exactly makes up the energy spectrum. I know the equation to the first and second order perturbations but I am not sure exactly what the energy spectrum entails. Please help.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ive figured out that H'=ax^3+bx^4

and Ho==[-(planks const)^2/2m][d^2/dx^2]+.5m(omega)^2x^2
and lambda=1 which mean ita a full perturbation

Physics news on Phys.org
degerativpart said:
I gues my big question to begin is what exactly makes up the energy spectrum.
In QM, "energy spectrum" is just a stupid word that they use to mean the set of possible energy eigenvalues. I personally hate that terminology; it's so misleading.

degerativpart said:
and lambda=1 which mean ita a full perturbation
I don't know what this means.

haha obviously I agree with you and I read that the lambda in the equation for H=Ho+(lambda)H' when equals to zero means its an unperturbed equation and when it is equal to 1 then its fully perturbed. I don't know I read it.
But I guess my next question how many energy eigenvalues are there? Does that mean I should probably only go to the second oreder corrections?

degerativpart said:
... how many energy eigenvalues are there?
How many eigenvalues are there for H0? Can the perturbation remove or add any, or does it just shift them?

Sorry, I could say that book is the question?. thank you.

Related to Energy Spectrum for Hamiltonian

1. What is an energy spectrum for Hamiltonian?

An energy spectrum for Hamiltonian is a representation of all possible energy states of a physical system described by a Hamiltonian operator. It shows the discrete or continuous energy levels that a system can possess.

2. How is an energy spectrum for Hamiltonian calculated?

An energy spectrum for Hamiltonian is calculated by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given Hamiltonian operator. The resulting eigenvalues correspond to the energy levels of the system, and the corresponding eigenvectors represent the state of the system at each energy level.

3. What is the significance of the energy spectrum for Hamiltonian?

The energy spectrum for Hamiltonian provides important information about the behavior and properties of a physical system. It helps in understanding the allowed energy states and transitions between them, which is crucial in predicting and explaining the behavior of quantum systems.

4. Can the energy spectrum for Hamiltonian change?

Yes, the energy spectrum for Hamiltonian can change depending on the physical conditions of the system, such as external forces or interactions with other systems. The energy levels and corresponding eigenstates may shift or split, resulting in a different energy spectrum.

5. How is the energy spectrum for Hamiltonian related to the observable quantities of a system?

The energy spectrum for Hamiltonian is closely related to the observable quantities of a system, such as energy, momentum, and position. The eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the energy spectrum correspond to the possible values and states of these observables, allowing us to make predictions and measurements about the system.