Energy requirements for creating water mist

In summary, the conversation discussed the potential for energy transfer to a surface through a mist spray, particularly in relation to infrared emissions. The energy level imparted to a surface depends on the size and creation rate of the particles, with evaporation and conduction being competing processes. The use of a fine water spray can result in a net heat gain when hitting a surface, which can be observed through infrared emissions at certain wavelengths. However, the presence of soluble molecules may not significantly affect this process.
gpowell
The basis of the question is: in creating a mist that you sprayed on a surface could you get an energy
transfer to the surface equivalent to an optical emission in the infrared? (Far Infrared).

How much energy is imparted to room temp water in creating a spray of particles around 5 microns or greater? I realize that the energy level will relate to particle size and creation rate.
If you sprayed a surface with these particles it seems like the physical reactions taking place would be quite complicated several competing processes occurring: the energy of the particles hitting the surface, evaporation etc?
Would appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
For 5um water droplets coalescing into film, you theoretically can get enough surface energy release for temperature rise of 21 C. The problem is loss for evaporation (~800 W/m2 at +5C) and conduction though - about 400 W/m2 at 20 C temperature rise, to make surface energy dominant you need roughly water film growth speed at least 30 um/s. Normally that fine spray&film energy balance would be dominated by evaporation, not by surface energy.

gpowell said:
The basis of the question is: in creating a mist that you sprayed on a surface could you get an energy
transfer to the surface equivalent to an optical emission in the infrared? (Far Infrared).
Welcome to PF!

Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to do. Infrared radiation heat transfer depends on the temperature of the emitter and target, which you didn't specify. And water mists tend to cool, not heat the surface they are sprayed on. So what exactly is this idea supposed to accomplish?

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Could you please elaborate on what you are trying to do. Infrared radiation heat transfer depends on the temperature of the emitter and target, which you didn't specify. And water mists tend to cool, not heat the surface they are sprayed on. So what exactly is this idea supposed to accomplish?
I think the question could be reduced to whether in converting water to a spray there is a net heat gain when the spray hits a surface? In this case the surface is human skin and all temperatures (except the skin) or at room temperature. I would think the relationship would change if the water contained a long chain organic compound in dilution. Does that make sense?

Likes trurle
gpowell said:
I think the question could be reduced to whether in converting water to a spray there is a net heat gain when the spray hits a surface? In this case the surface is human skin and all temperatures (except the skin) or at room temperature. I would think the relationship would change if the water contained a long chain organic compound in dilution. Does that make sense?
Yes, net gain of energy when spray hit the water-coated surface do exist. Fine water spray create the suffocation feeling in moment when inhaled exactly for this reason - water film in lungs heat up after absorbing spray, resulting in water evaporation and oxygen displacement. Also, buildup of water create oxygen diffusion barrier, making suffocation worse with time. The droplet range you are looking for is typical of alveolar inhalator.

Regarding soluble molecules, they will not have much effect. To have significant effect, you need surface-sticking molecules (detergents or such).

trurle said:
Yes, net gain of energy when spray hit the water-coated surface do exist. Fine water spray create the suffocation feeling in moment when inhaled exactly for this reason - water film in lungs heat up after absorbing spray, resulting in water evaporation and oxygen displacement. Also, buildup of water create oxygen diffusion barrier, making suffocation worse with time. The droplet range you are looking for is typical of alveolar inhalator.

Regarding soluble molecules, they will not have much effect. To have significant effect, you need surface-sticking molecules (detergents or such).

Thanks for your help. I have learned a lot. I encountered this problem in a conversation and thought it was interesting. As a side question, if there is a net heat gain under these conditions would you (conceptually) expect to see infrared emissions? Or would those require a cooling molecule to emit?

gpowell said:
Thanks for your help. I have learned a lot. I encountered this problem in a conversation and thought it was interesting. As a side question, if there is a net heat gain under these conditions would you (conceptually) expect to see infrared emissions? Or would those require a cooling molecule to emit?
I think you can observe some of emission at 200um (hydrogen bond bending) and 6.08um (water molecule bending) in addition to dominant thermal continuum. It would be an interesting experiment to see.

Related to Energy requirements for creating water mist

1. What is the purpose of creating water mist?

Water mist is typically created for fire suppression and control in buildings, vehicles, and other enclosed spaces. It can also be used for dust suppression, cooling, and humidification.

2. How much energy is required to create water mist?

The amount of energy required to create water mist varies depending on the size of the mist droplets and the volume of water being misted. However, it generally takes less energy to create water mist compared to traditional fire suppression methods such as sprinkler systems or water cannons.

3. What factors affect the energy requirements for creating water mist?

The energy requirements for creating water mist are influenced by factors such as the type of misting system, the pressure and flow rate of the water, the size and shape of the nozzles, and the environmental conditions (e.g. temperature, humidity, wind).

4. Can renewable energy sources be used to power water mist systems?

Yes, renewable energy sources such as solar, wind, and hydro power can be used to power water mist systems. This can help reduce the overall energy consumption and environmental impact of creating water mist.

5. Are there any safety concerns regarding the energy requirements for creating water mist?

There are generally no safety concerns associated with the energy requirements for creating water mist. However, it is important to ensure that the misting system is properly designed, installed, and maintained to prevent any potential hazards or malfunctions.