Energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor

In summary, the question involves a parallel-plate capacitor with an initial charge ±Q_{0} and plate separation d, connected to a resistor R, and discharging according to the equation Q(t)=Q_{0} e^{-t/RC}. The question asks for the fraction of energy radiated away, which can be computed using the dipole equation and the modified Maxwell relations for radiation. The resulting answer is very close to zero for practical applications.
AlexCdeP

Homework Statement

A parallel-plate capacitor C , with plate separation d , is given an initial
charge ±Q[itex]_{0}[/itex]. It is then connected to a resistor R, and discharges, Q(t)=Q[itex]_{0}[/itex] e[itex]^{-t/RC}[/itex]
(a) What fraction of its energy Q[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]/2C does it radiate away?

Homework Equations

The equations for an electric dipole, involving the retarded time.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been at this for hours and don't know what to do. I think I should treat the capacitor as a dipole at a very great distance away and integrate over a massive sphere as one does for an oscillating dipole. However this was taking me an age, and you get to the point where coshx is the only real solution so rather than being able to time average cos^2(x) as usual, you just can't do that.

There must be something I'm missing. I know the energy loss from the capacitor Q[itex]_{0}[/itex][itex]^{2}[/itex]/2C , and I know the energy stored in the capacitor, but they appear to be the same amount, when logically they should be different, witht the difference in energy equalling the anergy radiated away. Any help would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not my field of expertise, so others may modify the following:

The stored and dissipated energies do indeed compute to the same number. But these computations assume the quasi-stationary state. In reality, if you want to be really picky about it you'd have to start with the Maxwell relations modified for radiation. These include changing from del x E = 0 to del x E = -∂B/∂t and from del x H = i to del x H = i + ∂D/∂t. You would then have to compute the Poynting vector P = E x H and integrate it over a closed surface enveloping the entire circuit including the plates. Dn't ask me how that would be done. All I can tell you is that the answer is very, very close to zero for all practical applications..

Thank you very much for the reply, I'll give it a shot!

For those still seeking answers to this questoin (Griffiths Electrodynamics 11.8 in the 4th Edition), you should use the dipole equation $p=Qd$ then work from there.

Related to Energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor

What is energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor?

The energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor refers to the electromagnetic energy that is emitted from the capacitor as a result of the electric field between its two plates. This energy is in the form of electromagnetic waves, also known as radiation.

How is the energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor calculated?

The energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor can be calculated using the formula: E = (1/2)CV^2, where E is the energy, C is the capacitance of the capacitor, and V is the voltage across the plates.

What factors affect the amount of energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor?

The amount of energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor is affected by the distance between the plates, the capacitance of the capacitor, and the voltage across the plates. The longer the distance between the plates, the higher the capacitance, and the higher the voltage, the greater the amount of energy radiated.

Is the energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor significant?

The energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor is relatively small compared to the energy stored in the capacitor itself. However, in certain scenarios, such as high-frequency circuits, it can be significant and needs to be taken into account.

What are the practical applications of understanding energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor?

Understanding the energy radiated by a parallel plate capacitor is important in the design and operation of electronic circuits and devices. It is also crucial in the study of electromagnetic radiation and its effects on surrounding objects.