Energy question about kinetic energy and potential

In summary, when objects A and B, with masses M and 2M respectively, are each pushed a distance d up an inclined plane by a force F parallel to the plane, the kinetic energy of A is greater than the kinetic energy of B. This is due to the fact that A has a higher velocity compared to B, as shown by solving for the acceleration using Newton's second law, F=ma. Therefore, the work done by F on A is greater than the work done by F on B. It is important to note that the choice of numbers, such as the value of kinetic friction, can affect the result and must be carefully chosen.
gijungkim

Homework Statement

[/B]
Objects A and B, of mass M and 2M respectively, are each pushed a distance d straight up an inclined plane by a force F parallel to the plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each mass and the plane has the same value [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://3C529BAE-7096-42AC-A3AD-BBB311BE09A3/x-apple-ql-magic/2A7E0075-C083-4913-99A2-A5DE41E321DE.pdf . At the highest point,

a.https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://F3828464-FA8A-4215-8BE7-4A023DC5CD41/x-apple-ql-magic/5507A7ED-921A-42CF-9951-B813D9EAF084.pdf .

b.https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://2E7FAF13-D7EF-40BF-AC42-B48E3047EE43/x-apple-ql-magic/C52E68C5-7BFE-4BCC-8299-858DDE6FFF1F.pdf .

c.https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://FC2B1409-9B06-476D-A519-19DF4D82235F/x-apple-ql-magic/C54A8274-657D-49B6-A032-6347DA0F9DBB.pdf .

d.The work done by F on A is greater than the work done by F on B.

e.The work done by F on A is less than the work done by F on B.

Homework Equations

K= 0.5mv^2
PE= mgh
Ffriction = Fn * [PLAIN]https://www.physicsforums.com/x-apple-ql-id://3C529BAE-7096-42AC-A3AD-BBB311BE09A3/x-apple-ql-magic/2A7E0075-C083-4913-99A2-A5DE41E321DE.pdf

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The answer is A.
I don't even know how to approach this question.. I'm studying by myself so I don't have any teachers to ask :( Can anyone help me out??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Five images in your post (including the whole of a, b, c) show as broken links on my screen. I'm guessing the only reason they're not plain text is that they contain a character such as ##\mu##. Please try posting using LaTeX, or by copying and pasting the mu in my post, or just use the word "mu".

haruspex said:
Five images in your post (including the whole of a, b, c) show as broken links on my screen. I'm guessing the only reason they're not plain text is that they contain a character such as ##\mu##. Please try posting using LaTeX, or by copying and pasting the mu in my post, or just use the word "mu".
I'm sorry I didn't know post show as broken link. I'll write it down again here!

Objects A and B, of mass M and 2M respectively, are each pushed a distance dstraight up an inclined plane by a force F parallel to the plane. The coefficient of kinetic friction between each mass and the plane has the same value Uk. At the highest point,

a. Ka > Kb.

b. Ka = Kb.

c. Ka < Kb.

d.The work done by F on A is greater than the work done by F on B.

e.The work done by F on A is less than the work done by F on B.

the friction equation is Fn * Uk

are you familiar with work and work-energy equations? Or kinematic equations and Newton's laws if not? Please list them under your 'relevant equations', and show some attempt or at least state how you think you would approach this problem using these equations.

PhanthomJay said:
are you familiar with work and work-energy equations? Or kinematic equations and Newton's laws if not? Please list them under your 'relevant equations', and show some attempt or at least state how you think you would approach this problem using these equations.
I kind of get a concept of this question. By using F=ma, it is obvious that mass M will have higher velocity than 2M when they move same distance because 2M will have lower acceleration. And since M has higher velocity, it might have higher K? I want to know how exactly Ka is bigger than Kb with solution, not just by a concept.

PhanthomJay said:
I attached my work. It's kinda messy, but can you check if my idea is right?? What I basically did was to put Mass as 1 and 2, distance as 10m, F as 20N, theta as 30 degrees, and kinetic friction as 0.2 and just solved the velocity of both and get the kinetic Energy of both...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 431
Loo
gijungkim said:
I attached my work. It's kinda messy, but can you check if my idea is right?? What I basically did was to put Mass as 1 and 2, distance as 10m, F as 20N, theta as 30 degrees, and kinetic friction as 0.2 and just solved the velocity of both and get the kinetic Energy of both...
looks good using that approach! Work energy approach might be simpler if you use it properly, but your method is fine. Note that you chose some good numbers, getting a positive acceleration up plane. Other number choices might result on no motion or motion down the plane, so be careful if your result came out negative. Did you check to see if choice d or e might also be correct?

Likes gijungkim
PhanthomJay said:
Loo
looks good using that approach! Work energy approach might be simpler if you use it properly, but your method is fine. Note that you chose some good numbers, getting a positive acceleration up plane. Other number choices might result on no motion or motion down the plane, so be careful if your result came out negative. Did you check to see if choice d or e might also be correct?
I haven't checked it yet! I will do that now! Thanks

Related to Energy question about kinetic energy and potential

1. What is kinetic energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. It is dependent on the object's mass and velocity.

2. What is potential energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or state. It can be gravitational potential energy, elastic potential energy, or chemical potential energy.

3. How are kinetic and potential energy related?

Kinetic and potential energy are related through the principle of conservation of energy. In a closed system, energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be converted between different forms such as kinetic and potential energy.

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

The main difference between kinetic and potential energy is that kinetic energy is associated with an object's motion, while potential energy is associated with an object's position or state.

5. How is kinetic energy calculated?

Kinetic energy is calculated using the formula KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its velocity. This means that the kinetic energy of an object increases with its mass and the square of its velocity.