Energy problem with inelastic collision

The initial kinetic energy is (2.50x10^4 kg)(4.00 m/s)^2 = 4.00x10^5 J. The final kinetic energy is (2.50x10^4 kg + 3(2.50x10^4 kg))(2.50 m/s)^2 = 2.50x10^6 J. The change in kinetic energy is -1.10x10^6 J, which is the same as the change in internal energy. In summary, the collision between the railroad cars resulted in a change in kinetic energy of -1.10x10^6 J, which is equal to the change in internal energy.
mickellowery

Homework Statement

A railroad car with a mass 2.50x10^4 kg moves at 4.00 m/s. It collides and connects to 3 more cars each with the same weight as the first, they're moving 2.00 m/s. After they connect the final velocity was 2.50 m/s. How much energy is transformed into internal energy in the collision?

Homework Equations

I was trying to use [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K+[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=-fkd. I wasn't sure if this was the right approach, and I think maybe I'm setting everything up wrong because I'm not coming up with the right answer.

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mickellowery said:

Homework Equations

I was trying to use [tex]\Delta[/tex]E=[tex]\Delta[/tex]K+[tex]\Delta[/tex]U=-fkd. I wasn't sure if this was the right approach, and I think maybe I'm setting everything up wrong because I'm not coming up with the right answer.

The change in kinetic energy should give the work done which should be the same as the change in internal energy.

Related to Energy problem with inelastic collision

1. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of collision in which the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or deformation of the objects involved.

2. Why is there an energy problem with inelastic collisions?

The energy problem with inelastic collisions arises because some of the kinetic energy is lost during the collision, making it difficult to accurately calculate the final velocities of the objects involved. This can make it challenging to predict the outcome of the collision and can also make it difficult to apply the laws of conservation of energy.

3. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the energy problem in inelastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, directly affects the energy problem in inelastic collisions. A higher coefficient of restitution means that less kinetic energy is lost during the collision, making it easier to calculate the final velocities of the objects involved.

4. Are there any real-life examples of inelastic collisions?

Yes, there are many real-life examples of inelastic collisions. Some common examples include car accidents, where the kinetic energy of the vehicles is not conserved due to deformation and friction, and sports such as soccer or basketball, where the ball loses some of its kinetic energy upon impact with the ground or a player.

5. How can the energy problem in inelastic collisions be addressed?

The energy problem in inelastic collisions can be addressed by using more advanced mathematical models and techniques such as the coefficient of restitution or the principle of conservation of momentum. Additionally, conducting experiments and collecting data can help to better understand and predict the outcomes of inelastic collisions.