Energy of interfering standing wave

In summary, the goal of this project is to find the RMS power transmitted into a sphere of water by varying the amplitude of waves coming from a source. Jon points out that he is not really planning on doing this, but is instead thinking of it as a thought exercise. He cannot for the life of him remember how to find how the wave attenuates, so he needs help. Someone suggests that he use a sin wave and add the amplitudes of the waves. He squares it and integrates it over one period. He divides by frequency and takes the root to get the RMS power. He is assuming that the antenna is in the sphere and that the amplitude of the waves is basically a square drop as you go deeper due to the wave
jagedlion
Okay, I know that I should know this, but its just been a while so here it is:

I have a few emitters at 2.5 GHz at different points on the edge of a sphere of water. I want to find the RMS energy transmitted into the water in the sphere. Ideally by moving emitters/adding a phase delay, I can create an interference pattern that puts a hot spot arbitrarily where I want it.

I'm not worried about finding a rigorous answer, I'm just fine with matlabing it so long as I know what it is that I really need to do.

What I was thinking:
Represent the signal from the source as a sin wave. (Already with the appropriate phase delay to put a peak at the 'hot spot') Add the amplitude of the wave from each source. Square it and integrate it over one period. Divide by frequency and take the root to get RMS power.

Where I run into problems:
I cannot for the life of me remember how to get how the wave attenuates as it goes through the water.

So, 1. What have I already done wrong, and 2. Can someone please help me the rest of the way?

Thanks a lot,
Jon

Physics news on Phys.org
Point sized sources?

Yeah, let's keep things nice and full of assumptions.

It's more of a thought exercise, I'm not really planning on implementing.

Plus a 1/4 wavelength antenna for 2.5Ghz in a water medium (assume antenna in the sphere, rather than air) is what... like a quarter of a centimeter? I figure that's close enough. Considering that the antenna is really only broadcasting into a limited arc I was guessing that we could ignore the fact that the antenna probably isn't perfectly omnidirectional without being too naive.I would assume amplitude is basically a square drop (P=P0 / (4piR^2)) as you go deeper due to the wave spreading out over the surface area of the arc, and probably an exponential drop due to attenuation P=P0*e^-ar? Something like that?

So in total is would be P=P0*e-ar/(4piR2) ?

Do I need to worry about the water changing the phase of the wave?

I'm just reasoning this out, so please let me know if this is roughly correct. If it is, where do I find the value of a?P.S. Also, I just realized I was being stupid, I didn't mean standing waves as in the title, the entire point of the design is that the position of the probes can be imperfect and corrected through phase delays. The rest of it is what I meant though.

I hope you are having a nice weekend.

Last edited:

Related to Energy of interfering standing wave

1. What is an interfering standing wave?

An interfering standing wave is a type of wave that occurs when two waves of the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions and interfere with each other, resulting in a wave pattern that appears to be standing still.

2. How is the energy of an interfering standing wave calculated?

The energy of an interfering standing wave is calculated by finding the sum of the energies of the two individual waves at every point along the wave pattern. This can be done using the formula E = (1/2)mv^2, where E is energy, m is mass, and v is the velocity of the wave.

3. What factors affect the energy of interfering standing waves?

The energy of interfering standing waves can be affected by several factors, including the amplitude and frequency of the individual waves, the distance between the two waves, and the medium through which the waves are traveling.

4. How does the energy of interfering standing waves change over time?

The energy of interfering standing waves remains constant over time as long as the individual waves maintain their amplitudes and frequencies. However, the energy may change if one or both of the waves experience a change in amplitude or frequency.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding the energy of interfering standing waves?

Understanding the energy of interfering standing waves has many practical applications, such as in the fields of acoustics and optics. It is also important in the study of resonance and can be used in the design of musical instruments and electronic devices.