Energy of an electron in hydrogen

But in summary, the energy of an electron in the 2s orbital of a hydrogen atom can be calculated using the formula E = -13.6 \(\frac{z^2}{n^2}\)eV, where z is the atomic number and n is the principal quantum number. If you are not getting the correct answer, make sure you are using the correct values for z and n and the constant R.
mahrap
What is the energy of an electron in the 2s orbital of a hydrogen atom?
I thought En = -RZ^2 / n^2

Why am i not getting the right answer with

Z = 1
n = 2
and R just the value of the constant

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] E = -13.6 \frac{z^2}{n^2}eV[/tex]

mahrap said:
What is the energy of an electron in the 2s orbital of a hydrogen atom?

I thought En = -RZ^2 / n^2

Why am i not getting the right answer with

Z = 1
n = 2
and R just the value of the constant
If you don't tell us what answer you got, it is difficult to say why it is wrong.

Related to Energy of an electron in hydrogen

1. What is the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom is -13.6 electron volts (eV). This is known as the ground state energy, and it is the lowest energy level that the electron can occupy in the hydrogen atom.

2. How is the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom calculated?

The energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom is calculated using the equation E = -13.6/n^2, where n is the principal quantum number. This equation is known as the Bohr model of the hydrogen atom.

3. What is the significance of the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom?

The energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom is significant because it determines the behavior and properties of the atom. It also plays a crucial role in understanding chemical bonding and the formation of molecules.

4. How does the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom change as it moves to higher energy levels?

The energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom increases as it moves to higher energy levels. This is because the distance between the electron and the nucleus increases, and the electron experiences less attraction and therefore has higher potential energy.

5. Can the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom have any value?

No, the energy of an electron in a hydrogen atom is quantized, meaning it can only have specific values. These values correspond to the different energy levels or orbitals that the electron can occupy within the atom.