Energy of a photon gas: two ways to get it, two different answers

In summary, the energy of a photon gas in terms of temperature can be calculated using the partition function with Hamiltonian H = pc, which results in E = 3NkT (where N is the number of photons, k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is temperature). Alternatively, the density of states can be used, resulting in E \propto VT^4. Both expressions are consistent with established theories, such as the equipartition theorem and the Stefan-Boltzmann law. However, it is important to note that the number of photons in an ideal gas is not fixed, and is instead proportional to VT^3. This provides the necessary consistency between the two methods of calculation.
Pacopag

Homework Statement

I've been asked to calculate the energy of a photon gas in terms of the temperature. Assume non-interacting.
I'll spare the details, unless someone would like to see them, because the calculations can be found in most textbooks. Here's the problem:
When I do it using the partition function with Hamiltonian H = pc, I get
[tex]E = 3NkT[/tex]
where N is the number of photons, k is Boltzmann's constant, and T is temperature.
When I do it by finding the density of states, i get
[tex]E \propto VT^4[/tex]
Both answers are consistent with stuff I already know:
The first expression agrees with the equipartition theorem, but the second expression is the stefan-boltzmann law. So what the heck is going on here?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the answer on Wikipedia under "Photon Gas." It seems that the number of photons is not fixed as in an ideal gas, and that
[tex]N \propto VT^3[/tex].
That gives the consistency I'm looking for.

Pacopag said:
[tex]E \propto VT^4[/tex]
is the stefan-boltzmann law.
Not exactly. Perhaps some integrated version of.

Pacopag said:
I think I found the answer on Wikipedia ...
EXCELLENT!

Pacopag said:
It seems that the number of photons is not fixed as in an ideal gas, ...
Why do you think that the number of photons in an ideal gas is fixed? Grand canonical ensemble.

Pacopag said:
[tex]N \propto VT^3[/tex]. That gives the consistency I'm looking for.
Indeed, you are deriving this from stat mech, relativity, and (a bastardized version of) QM.

Related to Energy of a photon gas: two ways to get it, two different answers

1. What is the energy of a photon gas?

The energy of a photon gas refers to the total amount of energy that is present in a system of photons, which are particles of light. This energy is typically measured in units of joules (J) or electron volts (eV).

2. What are the two ways to calculate the energy of a photon gas?

The energy of a photon gas can be calculated using either the Planck's law or the Boltzmann distribution. Both methods involve different equations and assumptions about the behavior of photons in a gas.

3. How does Planck's law calculate the energy of a photon gas?

Planck's law uses the wavelength or frequency of the photons and the temperature of the gas to calculate the energy. It assumes that the photons behave like particles and have discrete energy levels.

4. How does the Boltzmann distribution calculate the energy of a photon gas?

The Boltzmann distribution uses the temperature and the number of photons in the gas to calculate the average energy of a single photon. It assumes that the photons behave like waves and have a continuous distribution of energies.

5. Why do Planck's law and the Boltzmann distribution give different answers for the energy of a photon gas?

The two methods use different assumptions about the behavior of photons in a gas. Planck's law assumes that photons behave like particles, while the Boltzmann distribution assumes they behave like waves. Therefore, they give different results for the average energy of a photon in the gas.