Energy of a magnet/iron system (eg. gauss rifle)

In summary, the problem at hand involves calculating the potential energy of a system consisting of iron pieces and a magnet on an axis. Despite efforts to find a useful source, the calculations for such systems are difficult to come by. The configuration shown in the provided image further complicates the calculations. It is likely that some assumptions and idealizations will need to be made, and even then, the process may be quite messy. Finite element analysis may provide a more accurate solution, but it may not be worth the effort for this particular problem.
Wxfsa

Homework Statement

I want to calculate the energy of a system of iron pieces and a magnet on an axis. The configuration can be thought to be like this: http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wiredscience/2011/12/drawingskey1.jpg

Homework Equations

dE = 1/2B^2/µdv

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried very hard to find a source which explain the calculations of magnet+iron systems but I really couldn't find anything useful. I want to learn to calculate the change in potential energy between the two systems shown in the image above (and possibly more complicated configurations)
I can imagine that the magnetic field wants to go through the iron, making the field stronger when iron is closer to the magnet but i can not even begin to calculate how much.
This may or may not be a problem that can be solved by hand (I am posting this here because I thought this was a homework type question) Reasonable assumptions, and idealizations probably must be made. Shapes of the magnets and iron can be changed for easier calculations.

Physics news on Phys.org
Calculating the potential energy of magnets and magnetic things is messy - you can do a finite element analysis, but this is nothing you want to do just for a toy.

Related to Energy of a magnet/iron system (eg. gauss rifle)

1. What is the energy of a magnet/iron system?

The energy of a magnet/iron system is the amount of work required to move a magnet or iron object from one location to another due to the magnetic forces present.

2. How is the energy of a magnet/iron system measured?

The energy of a magnet/iron system is typically measured in units of joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ), which are both units of energy in the International System of Units (SI).

3. What factors affect the energy of a magnet/iron system?

The energy of a magnet/iron system is influenced by the strength of the magnetic field, the distance between the magnet and iron object, and the orientation of the magnetic fields.

4. Can the energy of a magnet/iron system be increased or decreased?

Yes, the energy of a magnet/iron system can be increased by increasing the strength of the magnetic field or decreasing the distance between the magnet and iron object. It can also be decreased by weakening the magnetic field or increasing the distance between the two objects.

5. How is the energy of a magnet/iron system used in a gauss rifle?

In a gauss rifle, the energy from a series of magnets is used to propel a small metal ball at high speeds. This is achieved by arranging the magnets in a specific configuration that allows for the transfer of energy from one magnet to the next, resulting in a powerful force that propels the ball forward.