Energy of a light quantum

In summary: Is MKS just the same as SI units?In summary, the formula for calculating the energy of a light-quantum in eV when the wavelength is in nanometers is E = \frac{hc}{\lambda} X 1eV/1.6 x 10^-19 J, where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and \lambda is the wavelength in metres. This formula can be used for any size wavelength as long as consistent units are used, such as MKS or SI units.
Jchem
I'm looking for an expression for the "energy of a light-quantum in eV when the wavelength is in nanometers"

and I'm kind of stumped :confused:

anyone know this formula?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use [itex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex], where h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light and [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the wavelength (in metres). This will give you an answer in Joules, all you need to do then is convert to eV (1 eV = 1.6 x 10^-19 J).

ok so I can use [itex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex] X 1eV/1.6 x 10^-19 J

What about the "in nanometers" part?

The formula will work with a wavelength in nanometers, it will also work with any other size wavelengths..

not sure what they are asking here.

thanks

Jchem said:
ok so I can use [itex]E = \frac{hc}{\lambda}[/itex] X 1eV/1.6 x 10^-19 J

What about the "in nanometers" part?

The formula will work with a wavelength in nanometers, it will also work with any other size wavelengths..

not sure what they are asking here.
The formula applies regardless of the units. You just have to use consistent units. If you use MKS, the energy is measured in Joules (m^2kg/sec^2), c is in m/sec, distance in m and h in Jsec. A nanometer is [itex]10^{-9} metres[/itex].

AM

Is MKS just the same as SI units?

I think MKS is meter-kelvin-seconds which is basically SI units.

DieCommie said:
I think MKS is meter-kelvin-seconds which is basically SI units.
MKS is metre-kilogram-seconds or SI units (Système International d'Unités) as opposed to CGS (=centimetre-gram-seconds) or FPS (=foot pound seconds).

AM

Related to Energy of a light quantum

1. What is the energy of a light quantum?

The energy of a light quantum, also known as a photon, is determined by its frequency or wavelength. The higher the frequency or shorter the wavelength, the greater the energy of the photon.

2. How is the energy of a light quantum related to its color?

The color of light is determined by its wavelength, and therefore, the energy of a light quantum. Shorter wavelengths correspond to higher energy photons, which are perceived as blue or violet light. Longer wavelengths correspond to lower energy photons, which are perceived as red or orange light.

3. How is the energy of a light quantum quantized?

The energy of a light quantum is quantized, meaning it can only exist at certain discrete energy levels. This is due to the wave-particle duality of light, where it exhibits both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

4. How does the energy of a light quantum affect its behavior?

The energy of a light quantum determines its behavior and interactions with matter. Higher energy photons have a greater ability to penetrate and interact with matter, while lower energy photons may be absorbed or reflected more easily.

5. What is the equation for calculating the energy of a light quantum?

The energy of a light quantum can be calculated using the equation E = hf, where E is energy, h is Planck's constant (6.626 x 10^-34 joule seconds), and f is frequency. This equation is known as the Planck-Einstein relation.