Energy of a Charged Sphere

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the energy of charging a sphere with a uniform charge density using two different formulas. The first formula involves an integral over the space of the electric potential and the second formula involves an integral over the space of the electric field. Both formulas have a 1/2 coefficient, but when calculated, they give different results. The conversation also includes a link to a helpful derivation for solving the problem. After discussing the possible mistakes in the calculations, the conversation concludes that the two ways of calculating the energy should give the same answer.
p3rry
Hi everybody...

this is my first topic here.
I'm solving problems for the phd test here in my university. Here's my question:

I have to calculate the energy of charging a sphere (radius = R) with a uniform charge density "rho".

I can use 2 formulas:

the first is the integral over the space of rho(x)V(x), where V(x) is the electric potential
the second is the integral over the space of epsilon0*|E(x)|^2 where E(x) is the electric field

(there's a 1/2 coefficient for each formula)

If I calculate the 2 integrals I get different results, with the second method I get 2 times the result of the first one. I think it may be explained with the integration constant of V(x), but I'd like to be able to get the same result with this equivalent formulas.

Thank you very much. Bye

Claudio

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you very much, there's a straightforward solution of the problem.
But I still have a question. Why if I try to calculate the resultant energy by using equation (587) that's
[tex]W=\frac{1}{2}\int \rho V(r) \mathrm{d}^{3} r[/tex]
I can't get the same energy I get with (594)
[tex]W=\frac{\epsilon_{0}}{2}\int |E|^{2}\mathrm{d}^{3} r[/tex]
?

I think I'm making a mistake in the calculation of the potential V(r) but I cannot find it out...

Last edited:
Hm, well maybe if you show what you did we can point out where the mistake might be...

First, we calculate the potential for this situation. Inside of the solid sphere, which is the only region that matters for calculating [tex]\int d^{3}x \rho V(x)[/tex], the potential at radius [tex]r[/tex] is the same as that for a point charge with charge [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho [/tex]. So, we get

[tex] \int d^{3}x \rho V(x) = \int d^{3}x \rho \left(\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho}{r^2} \right) = \int_{0}^{\infty} dr 4 \pi r^2 \rho \left(\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho}{r^2} \right) = \int dr \frac{4 \pi r^4 \rho^2}{3 \epsilon_{0}} = \frac{4 \pi R^5 \rho^2}{15 \epsilon_{0}} [/tex].

Now we calculate the electric field everywhere. The field is pointed radially outward everywhere. Inside of the sphere, the electric field at a distance [tex]r[/tex] is the same as that of a point charge with charge [tex]\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho [/tex], so we see that the magnitude of the electric field inside is given by

[tex]E_{\text{inside}} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho}{r^2} [/tex]

Outside of the sphere, the electric field looks like that of a point charge with charge [tex] \frac{4}{3} \pi R^2 \rho [/tex], so we see that

[tex]E_{\text{outside}} = \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho}{r^2} [/tex].

We break our integral into an integration over the outside of the sphere and one over the inside of the sphere. This yields

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{0} \int d^{3}x E^2 = \frac{1}{2} \epsilon_{0} \left( \int_{0}^{R} dr 4 \pi r^2 \left[\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi r^3 \rho}{r^2} \right]^2 + \int_{R}^{\infty} dr 4 \pi r^2 \left[\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_{0}} \frac{\frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho}{r^2} \right]^2 \right) =\frac{2 \pi R^5 \rho^2}{45 \epsilon_{0}} + \frac{2 \pi R^5 \rho^2}{9 \epsilon_{0}} = \frac{4 \pi R^5 \rho^2}{15 \epsilon_{0}}[/tex]

The two ways of doing it give you the same answer.

You don't get the same answer, because in the first way the energy is:
[tex]W=\frac{1}{2}\int \mathrm{d}^{3}r V(r)[/tex]
that is half what you get with the electric field way.

Maybe there's something wrong in the value of V(r) that I use in the integration (the same that you show in your calculations). Thank You

Claudio

You're right-- I see it now. The value for [tex]V(r)[/tex] inside of the sphere should instead be

[tex]V(r) = \frac{Q}{8 \pi \epsilon_{0} R} \left(3 - \left(\frac{r}{R}\right)^2 \right) [/tex]

where

[tex]Q = \frac{4}{3} \pi R^3 \rho [/tex]

which will give you the right answer when you correctly include the factor of [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] in the integral over the potential.

Related to Energy of a Charged Sphere

1. What is the energy of a charged sphere?

The energy of a charged sphere is the potential energy that results from the electric charge of the sphere. It is a measure of the work required to bring the sphere from infinity to its current position.

2. How is the energy of a charged sphere calculated?

The energy of a charged sphere can be calculated using the formula U = (k * Q^2) / r, where U is the energy, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the sphere, and r is the distance between the center of the sphere and the point at which the energy is being measured.

3. Is the energy of a charged sphere always positive?

Yes, the energy of a charged sphere is always positive. This is because like charges repel each other, and bringing a charged sphere from infinity to a certain distance requires work to overcome this repulsion, resulting in a positive energy value.

4. How does the energy of a charged sphere change with distance?

The energy of a charged sphere is inversely proportional to the distance between the center of the sphere and the point at which it is being measured. This means that as the distance increases, the energy decreases and vice versa.

5. Can the energy of a charged sphere be measured experimentally?

Yes, the energy of a charged sphere can be measured experimentally using various techniques such as the Cavendish balance or the Millikan oil drop experiment. These experiments involve measuring the force between two charged objects and using that to calculate the energy.