Energy needed to increase a volume

In summary, there is a recipient filled with small spheres and elastics that attract the spheres to the bottom. The elastics are always vertical and have a constant force of 1 N. The volume of each sphere is increased by 20%, causing the height of the recipient to change from 1m to 1.2m. This requires energy of 550*1000²*0.2*1*1*k, with k being the sphere packing. However, the potential energy in the elastics decreases by 0.1*1000³*k. While the tensions and pressure remain constant, the only additional energy in the system is from the work exerted to lengthen the elastics. The energy per unit length
Gh778
A recipient (cube) of 1m³ is filled of small spheres, there are for example 1000³ spheres inside the recipient. There are also 1000³ elastics that attract the spheres to the bottom. The elastic are always vertical. One elastic for each sphere. One end of the elastic is fixed on a sphere and the other end of the elastic is fixed (but can slide) on the bottom.

I can move in lateral the bottom end of the elastic to have always the elastic vertical. The force of the elastic is supposed constant, just to simplify the calculations, so if the length of the elastic is 0.2m, or 1 m or 1.2 m for example, the force is always 1 N. There is no mass, it is a geometric study, I don't need it and there is no friction.

I increase the volume of each sphere of 20%, only the height of the recipient can change (not the lateral walls), so the height passes from 1 m to 1.2 m. I need for that the energy 550*1000²*0.2*1*1*k, with k the sphere packing and 550 is the mean pressure, at start the height is 1m so the pressure is 0.5 and at final the pressure is 0.6, the mean is at 0.55.

The problem is the potential energy in the elastic, I have less: 0.1*1000³*k. Where I'm wrong ? I must take the integral of the pressure ? I took 1000³ spheres but it is possible in theory to take more just to simplify the calculations and to think with the law of pressure.

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't followed everything you posted - but I can contradict one item:
Since the tensions on the elastics remain constant, the pressure will also remain constant.

The only addition to the energy of this system will be the work exerted to lengthen those elastics.
In other words, the energy per unit length stored in the elastics remains constant, but the total length of the elastics has increased.

Likes Gh778
ok I understood thanks !

Related to Energy needed to increase a volume

1. How is energy related to increasing volume?

Energy is required to increase the volume of a substance as it involves moving the particles of the substance further apart. This requires work to be done, which is a form of energy.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy needed to increase volume?

The amount of energy needed to increase volume depends on the type of substance, its initial volume, and the amount of volume increase desired. The temperature and pressure of the substance also play a role in determining the energy needed.

3. Does increasing volume always require energy?

No, increasing volume does not always require energy. In some cases, the substance may undergo a phase change, such as from a liquid to a gas, which can result in an increase in volume without the need for additional energy.

4. How is the energy needed to increase volume calculated?

The energy needed to increase volume can be calculated using the formula W = PΔV, where W is the work done, P is the pressure, and ΔV is the change in volume. This formula is based on the principle of work done against a constant external pressure.

5. Can the energy needed to increase volume be reduced?

Yes, the energy needed to increase volume can be reduced by decreasing the pressure or temperature of the substance. This results in a smaller change in volume and therefore less energy needed to achieve it.