Energy & Matter: Synopsis of Relationship

In summary, the relationship between energy and matter is contained in relativity theory. Energy can be manifested through motion and mass is also a form of energy. Matter and energy can be converted from one form to another, but the total mass remains the same. Energy comes from various sources and can change something while being changed itself. Mechanical energy, such as kinetic and potential energy, is directly dependent on mass, but other forms of energy, such as electrostatic forces, do not depend on mass. Energy is also stored in bonds, as seen in springs and melting.
Gale
can someone give me an accurate and comprehensive synopsis of the relations between energy and matter. i suppose i mean say, kinetic energy vs potential energy stored in bonds and energy as speed increases as mass increases... things like that. pretty much relating the two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey, I am not jimmy, but hey anyway. Afraid i can't help you though.

well anything would be helpful... i seriosuly can't understand how both concepts don't perplex everyone else... I've looked through my physics book... and there isn't much... i dunno.. just hoping someone has a firm grasp on both ideas and would care to share their wisdom...

Hi andy

The releationship between mass and energy is contained only in relativity theory, which is considered rather advanced physics.

In short, the more energy something has, the more mass it is. This goes for gases at higher temperatures, spacecraft at higher speeds, and so on.

The equation of merit is:

[tex]E = \sqrt{m c^2 + p^2 c^4}[/tex]

Where [itex]E[/itex] is energy, [itex]m[/itex] is rest-mass (the mass something will appear to have when it's at rest with you), [itex]p[/itex] is the momentum the object has, from your viewpoint, and [itex]c[/itex] is the speed of light.

In other words, just as you already know, energy can be manifested by motion. A bullet flying at you is a lot more frightening than one laying on the ground. The only thing that relativity adds is the assertion that mass itself is also a form of energy.

- Warren

As an example, when a thermonucelar device is detonated, nuclear fusion occurs. This means that the nuclei of hydrogen atoms (single protons) are smashed together so hard that they overcome their magnetic repulsion, and get close enough for the "strong nuclear force" to hold them together, making hellium atoms (two protons stuck together). But here's the interesting bit; the comined mass of the two protons stuck together is slightly less than one would get by adding the masses of the separate protons. Where did this tiny bit of mass go? It is the energy of the explosion!

I once read that according to the simplified version of Einstein's famous equation (E=mc2), one pound of matter will release as much energy as a million gallons of gasolene. But that huge amount of energy still has the same mass as it did when it was in the fom of matter. And in supercolliders, matter is brought into existence by the concentration of large amounts of energy.

I like to think of matter and energy being the two forms in which mass can exist. Conversion from one to the other form is possible, but the total mas remains the same. It's a bit oversimplified but hey, I like the simple life!

mk... i get most all of that, and I'm reasonably familar with relitivty and all... at least theoretically... hmm..

ok, so how does something have energy?

Energy is the ability to do work. If you can somehow make something lift something up, or make a light bulb light up, then that something has energy.

- Warren

right, i know... nevermind

Gale17 said:
mk... i get most all of that, and I'm reasonably familar with relitivty and all... at least theoretically... hmm..

It comes from a few different sources:
- all matter is a form of condensed energy; if you break a particle into 2 smaller particles whose net sum is less than the original, energy actually ballances out the remaining mass - it's actually converted
- as chroot said, if something already has energy, (like a body in motion), that energy will remain until it is lost through work, (i.e. friction, opposing force, heat, etc.).
- there are native forces that we don't yet understand, (like gravity), that convert to energy, (i.e. to bodies pulled by gravity end up with kenetic energy). electrons and protons both have native electrical charges, and there are numerous other properties that we just don't understand completely... yet!

hope that's a little more clear

patrickgamer
the future master of the universe, (i hope! :)

Energy is defined by its ability to change something and in the process
of so doing be changed itself.But the total energy before and after
a change is induced is always the same.

Let's forget relativity for a while.

Mechanical energy such as KE or PE are very directly dependent on mass. For instance the kinetic energy is proportional to the mass of the object and the square of its speed. The gravitational potential energy of an object is also proportional to its mass. Besides gravitation, there are other causes of potential energy. All of these result from some kind of force or interaction between your object and something else. Since the gravitaional force depends on mass, so does the gravitational potential energy. But if you considered the electrostatic force between charged objects, there is found to be no dependence on the mass there. This is macroscopically manifested in ...say a spring.

The energy stored in a compressed spring depends (largely) only on the extent of compression and the elastic properties of the material of the spring. These elastic contants result from the electrostatic forces between the atoms (what you referred to as 'bonds'). Hence you find that the mass of the spring plays no role in its potential energy.

Another manifestation of this 'bonding energy' is melting. In a solid, the atoms are bonded to each other through electrostatic forces. When you heat the solid, you are putting energy into it. For a while, you find that adding heat only makes the atoms jiggle about faster. In toher words, you are increasing the kinetic energy of the atoms. This is what you are quantifying (the average KE of the atoms) when you measure the temperature of the solid. Suddenly, at some point, you find that you've put in enough energy into the atoms that they can escape the electrostatic attraction that was keeping them together in a dense lattice. This is what melting is : you are breaking the chemical bonds between the atoms and allowing them to move about freely, hither and thither, frequently bumping into each other but still having energy enough to fly away.

I have a question, if u completely converted a piece of matter into energy, would ALL the energy be in the form of a high frequency electromagnetic wave, for instance gamma rays ?

ArmoSkater87 said:
I have a question, if u completely converted a piece of matter into energy, would ALL the energy be in the form of a high frequency electromagnetic wave, for instance gamma rays ?

When you annihilate matter and antimatter, that's what you get. Two gammas, actually, because you must conserve momentum.

chroot said:
[tex]E = \sqrt{m c^2 + p^2 c^4}[/tex]

[tex]E = \sqrt{m0^2 c^4 + p^2 c^2}[/tex]
:wink:

Related to Energy & Matter: Synopsis of Relationship

1. What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It comes in many forms such as light, heat, sound, and motion.

2. What is matter?

Matter is anything that has mass and takes up space. This includes all physical objects, from plants and animals to rocks and air.

3. How are energy and matter related?

Energy and matter are closely related as they can be converted into one another. Matter contains potential energy, which can be released through various processes, such as chemical reactions or nuclear reactions. In turn, energy can be transformed into matter, as seen in the creation of particles in particle accelerators.

4. Can energy be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another. This means that the total amount of energy in a closed system remains constant.

5. Can matter be created or destroyed?

Similar to energy, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. However, matter can be converted into energy through processes such as nuclear fission or fusion. In these reactions, a small amount of matter is converted into a large amount of energy, following Einstein's famous equation, E=mc^2.