Energy, magnitude of E & B, pressure from a laser

In summary, the conversation discusses a Ti-sapphire femtosecond laser with a 1fs pulse and a wavelength of 0.8μm, with an intensity of 1022 W/cm2 when focused to a spot of 1μm radius. The questions include determining the energy of the laser pulse, the peak magnetic induction B in Tesla and the electric field in V/m, and the wave pressure in atmospheres. The equations used include the Poynting vector and the energy density of the wave to find the relationship between the intensity and the electric field and magnetic induction.
darkfall13

Homework Statement

A Ti-sapphire femtosecond laser (1fs= 10^-15s, λ≈0.8μm) has an intensity of 1022 W/cm2
when focused to a spot of 1μm radius. What is the energy of the laser pulse? What is the peak
magnetic induction B in Tesla and the electric field in V/m? What is the wave pressure in
atmospheres?

Homework Equations

[tex]P = \int I da = \frac{E}{\Delta t}[/tex]
[tex]E=cB[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've solved the first part
[tex]P = IA = 10^{22} \frac{W}{cm^2} \pi \left(1 \mu m\right)^2 [/tex]
[tex] = 3.14 \times 10^{14} W[/tex]
[tex]E = .314 J [/tex]

But what is the relationship of what was given to either ]E or B? The only equations I can find are sinusoidal with the assumption that [tex]E_0[/tex] or [tex]B_0[/tex] are known to find their values at a particular time. Would I take the pulse with the assumption that B and E = 0 and the beginning and end and the information of the wavelength to find the value it peaks at? Now that I'm thinking of that, I'd still need some sort of E_0 or B_0.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming you have done the first part correct (if the question suggests it, you may need to integrate a gaussian distibution to get the power instead of just using the area of a circle)... anyway, to answer your question. The irrandiance [itex]I[/itex] relates to both the electric field [itex]E[/itex] and the magnetic induction [itex]B[/itex] through its definition as the time averaged Poynting vector:

[tex]
I \equiv \left\langle S \right\rangle = \frac{c^2\epsilon_0}{2}\left\vert E_0 \times B_0 \right\vert
[/tex]

So that:
[tex]
I = \frac{c}{2\mu_0}B_0^2
[/tex]
[tex]
I = \frac{1}{2}c\epsilon_0 E_0^2
[/tex]

The "average" radiation pressure is given by the energy density of the wave (note the units energy/volume and force/area are the same)

[tex]P = \frac{1}{2}\epsilon_0 E_0^2[/tex] (this will give answer in Pascals though using previous units)

Hope this helps...

That does help immensely thank you.

Related to Energy, magnitude of E & B, pressure from a laser

1. What is Energy?

Energy is a fundamental physical quantity that is used to describe the ability of a system to do work. It can exist in various forms such as kinetic, potential, thermal, electrical, chemical, and nuclear energy.

2. What is the magnitude of E and B?

The magnitude of E and B refers to the strength or intensity of the electric and magnetic fields, respectively. These fields are measured in units of volts per meter (V/m) for electric field and tesla (T) for magnetic field.

3. How is pressure from a laser generated?

Pressure from a laser is generated through the transfer of momentum from photons to the target material. When the photons from the laser beam hit the surface of the material, they transfer their momentum, resulting in a force that creates pressure on the material.

4. What factors affect the magnitude of E and B in a laser?

The magnitude of E and B in a laser can be affected by several factors such as the intensity of the laser beam, the wavelength of the light, the properties of the target material, and the distance between the laser and the target.

5. How does energy relate to pressure from a laser?

Energy and pressure from a laser are closely related, as the energy from the laser beam is what creates the pressure on the target material. The higher the energy of the laser, the greater the pressure it can generate on the material.