Energy lost in toy due to friction?

In summary, the magnetic disc toy loses its kinetic energy as heat and sound due to friction, particularly at the ends of its motion. Gravity, being a conservative force, does not play a role in the conversion of energy.
dibilo
I recently bought a toy that has this magnetic disc riding on a metal rail.

http://www.fizzicseducation.com.au/online%20store/large%20images/magnet%20rail%20twirler.gif

After letting it gain momentum, I tilted it downwards and let it climb and fall (making U shape paths) and then come to a stop. I observed that it came to a stop rather quickly; maybe after 3 - 4 oscillations. Then I wondered, since energy cannot be destroyed, the only explanation is that kinetic energy in the toy is lost as heat and sound.

Is it really just that? Just heat and sound? My wife said energy is lost to overcome gravity but I told her gravity is a force and has nothing to do with conversion of energy. Am I right to say that?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
dibilo said:
I recently bought a toy that has this magnetic disc riding on a metal rail.

http://www.fizzicseducation.com.au/online%20store/large%20images/magnet%20rail%20twirler.gif

After letting it gain momentum, I tilted it downwards and let it climb and fall (making U shape paths) and then come to a stop. I observed that it came to a stop rather quickly; maybe after 3 - 4 oscillations. Then I wondered, since energy cannot be destroyed, the only explanation is that kinetic energy in the toy is lost as heat and sound.

Is it really just that? Just heat and sound? My wife said energy is lost to overcome gravity but I told her gravity is a force and has nothing to do with conversion of energy. Am I right to say that?

Thanks in advance for any clarifications.

Gravity is a conservative force, so you are right on that point.

I think most of the frictional losses come at the ends of the motion. If you watch the spinning, does it stop at the ends before the wheel starts to go the other way? The stopping of the spinning happens because of the friction of the axle on the rails where the linear motion is stopped.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Energy lost in toy due to friction?

1. What is energy lost in a toy due to friction?

The energy lost in a toy due to friction is the energy that is converted into heat when the toy's moving parts rub against each other or against the surface it is placed on. This energy is not used to power the toy and is therefore considered lost.

2. How does friction affect the performance of a toy?

Friction can significantly impact the performance of a toy by causing it to slow down, become less efficient, or even stop working altogether. This is because the energy lost to friction reduces the amount of energy available to power the toy's movements.

3. Can the amount of energy lost in a toy due to friction be measured?

Yes, the amount of energy lost in a toy due to friction can be measured using various methods such as using a dynamometer or conducting experiments to compare the toy's performance with and without friction. Scientists use these measurements to understand how friction affects the efficiency and durability of toys.

4. What are some ways to reduce energy lost in a toy due to friction?

One way to reduce energy lost in a toy due to friction is by using lubricants such as oil or grease to reduce the contact between moving parts. Other methods include using low-friction materials for the toy's components or designing the toy in a way that minimizes friction.

5. Is energy lost in a toy due to friction always a bad thing?

Not necessarily. In some cases, friction can be beneficial for toys, such as in the case of brakes in toy cars. However, excessive friction can cause the toy to overheat or wear out quickly, so it is important to find a balance between enough friction for the toy to function properly and too much friction that can hinder its performance.