Energy lost from a Flywheel to the Environment

In summary: I=0.5mr^2.In summary, the conversation discusses the impact between two flywheels, A and B, with different masses and angular velocities. The goal is to reduce the kinetic energy of flywheel A by 20% through the impact. The summary includes calculations for the mass of flywheel B, energy lost to the surroundings, and the impact's elasticity. The conversation also makes an observation about the use of "K" for radius and the correct moment of inertia for a solid disk.
Poch
1. A Flywheel (A) mass 100kg and radius of gyration 1200mm rotates 150rpm clockwise. The knetic energy of this flywheel is to be reduced 20% by impacting a second flywheel B rotating at 80 rpm in opposite direction, such that they have the same clockwise angular velocity after inpact. A) calclate mass of flywheel B if its radius of gyration is 800mm, B. calculate energey lost to the surroundings, C. is the impact elastic, give reasons

2. KE = 0.5 x I x W^2, I = M x K^2,

3. K = 1.2m
W = 150 rpm = 15.7 r/s
M = 100kg
I = MxK^2, I = 100 x 1.2^2 , I = 144

Flywheel A
KE = 0.5 x I x W^2
=0.5 x 144 x 15.7^2
= 17747.28 = 17.75J

-20% = 17.75 = 14.2 J

Energy lost = 3.55J, this is acquired by Flywheel B
Flywheel B 80rpm = 8.4 r/s
KE = 0.5 IW^2
I = KE x 2 / w^2
I = 3550 x 2 / 8.4^2
= 100.62 Kgm^2

Mass, I = M x K^2
M = I / K^2 = 100.62 / 0.8^2
=157.2kg

(Check – I = K^2M, 0.8^2 x 157.2 = 100.6)

B). Energy lost to the surroundings

Kinetic Energy before impact 17.75J – Kinetic Energy after impact 14.2J

17.75 – 14.2 = 3.55J

C). No it is inelastic as energy is given up and the 2 bodies move in the same direction at the same speed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a question for us? Well, anyway, here's an observation:

Are you really using "K" for radius? How bizarre!

Moment of inertia for a solid disk is not I=mr^2

In an elastic collision, the bodies would have bounced off each other and maintained their original speeds and directions. In this case, the impact causes a transfer of energy and a change in the direction of motion, indicating an inelastic collision. This could be due to friction or other external forces acting on the system.

Related to Energy lost from a Flywheel to the Environment

1. How does energy get lost from a flywheel to the environment?

Energy is lost from a flywheel to the environment through friction and heat transfer. As the flywheel spins, it experiences resistance from the air, bearings, and other components, causing it to slow down and lose energy. Additionally, some of the energy is converted to heat and dissipated into the surrounding environment.

2. Can the loss of energy from a flywheel be prevented?

While it is not possible to completely prevent energy loss from a flywheel, it can be minimized through various methods. This includes using high-quality bearings, reducing the weight of the flywheel, and optimizing the design to reduce air resistance. Regular maintenance and lubrication can also help to reduce friction and prevent excessive energy loss.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy lost from a flywheel to the environment?

The amount of energy lost from a flywheel to the environment depends on several factors, including the speed of the flywheel, the weight and design of the flywheel, the quality of the bearings, and the surrounding environment. Higher speeds, heavier flywheels, and poor quality bearings can lead to greater energy loss.

4. How does the loss of energy from a flywheel impact its performance?

The loss of energy from a flywheel can negatively impact its performance in several ways. It can reduce the speed and efficiency of the flywheel, causing it to slow down more quickly and requiring more energy to maintain its motion. This can also lead to increased wear and tear on the flywheel and its components, potentially reducing its lifespan.

5. Is it possible to recover some of the energy lost from a flywheel to the environment?

Yes, it is possible to recover some of the energy lost from a flywheel to the environment through regenerative braking systems. These systems use the kinetic energy of the flywheel to generate electricity, which can then be stored and used to power other devices or recharge the flywheel. However, not all of the lost energy can be recovered, and the efficiency of these systems varies depending on the design and conditions.