Energy lost due to dissipation by air drag

In summary, an outfielder throws a baseball with an initial speed of 71.0 mi/h. Just before an infielder catches the ball at the same level, its speed is 85 ft/s. The ball's kinetic energy (energy of motion) is 168.18 J.
rosstheboss23

Homework Statement

An outfielder throws a baseball with an initial speed of 71.0 mi/h. Just before an infielder catches the ball at the same level, its speed is 85 ft/s. How much of the ball's mechanical energy is dissipated by air drag? (The weight of a baseball is 9 oz.) Answer is asked for in ft lb

Homework Equations

KE=KE+Energy lost to air drag 1/2mv^2= KE 5280ft=1mi 1h=3600s 1J=.738ft lb

The Attempt at a Solution

I converted 71mi/hr to m/s and got 31.7479m/s then I converted 85ft/s to m/s and got 25.91m/s. I then used KE= KE + energy lost to air drag and canceled out masses and got 168.18J= energy lost to drag. I then converted using the books conversion and got 124.12 ft lb. I have no idea where I when wrong. Thanks whoever helps.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi rosstheboss23,

I don't think you can cancel out the masses; you don't have an explicit mass term in the energy loss term.

Ok. If I can't cancel the masses then what should I do to make progress on this problem. The ball is at the same height so I assumed that I could use conservation of energy and just add loss of energy due to drag to the final KE. (Based on the same height I eliminated change in PE because it is the same.

I'm not sure what your question is. You already have written the expression you need:

[tex]
KE_i = KE_f + (\mbox{energy dissipated due to air drag})
[/tex]

You also have the formula for kinetic energy (1/2 mv^2); you have the initial and final speeds and the mass of the ball (which you can find from the weight), so you can go ahead and calculate the energy dissipated. There seems to be a lot of unit conversions (if you want to do the calculations in SI units), but I think you already have everything you need.

Ok. Thanks. I see what I did wrong...I thought the masses canceled. Thanks again. I appreciate it.

I have a similar problem that I am working on. In this case, however, I am being asked to find the energy dissipated by performing a line integral on the force of air resistance. The object is spherical with a diameter of .0732m, which best suits a quadratic approximation (F=C2*V^2). The problem is V is a function of time (or position, depending on how you look at it). So right now I have the work done on the ball by the air, W = INT[f(v)] dv = C2*INT[(VT^2)*(1-e^(-2gy/(VT^2)))] dv. Note that the integrand contains the variable y. Using change of base therom, I could come up with a pretty ugly looking integrand that I really don't want to compute, but I was wondering if anyone knew of a better way to go about this.

Related to Energy lost due to dissipation by air drag

1. What is air drag and how does it affect energy?

Air drag is a force that opposes the motion of an object through air. When an object moves through air, it creates a disturbance in the air particles, resulting in a resistance force known as air drag. This force acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down and lose energy.

2. How does the speed of an object affect the amount of energy lost due to air drag?

The higher the speed of an object, the greater the amount of energy lost due to air drag. This is because at higher speeds, the object must push through more air particles, resulting in a larger amount of resistance force and thus, a greater loss of energy.

3. Does the shape of an object affect the amount of energy lost due to air drag?

Yes, the shape of an object does affect the amount of energy lost due to air drag. Objects with a streamlined shape, such as a bullet or a plane, experience less air drag and therefore lose less energy compared to objects with a bulky or irregular shape.

4. Can air drag ever be beneficial in terms of energy?

Yes, in certain situations, air drag can actually be beneficial in terms of energy. For example, in sports such as cycling or skiing, athletes can utilize air drag to their advantage by strategically positioning their bodies to reduce air resistance and conserve energy.

5. How can we reduce the amount of energy lost due to air drag?

To reduce the amount of energy lost due to air drag, we can make changes to the shape and surface of objects. For example, using streamlined shapes and smooth surfaces can decrease air resistance and thus, reduce the amount of energy lost. Additionally, reducing the speed or using methods such as drafting can also help minimize the effects of air drag on energy loss.