Energy Level notation in relation to the Zeeman Effect

This time, the N value is not mentioned because it is assumed to be the same as the previous notation. The notation may seem confusing at first, but with some practice and understanding of quantum mechanics, it becomes easier to interpret. In summary, the notation used in atomic and molecular physics to denote energy levels consists of four parts: N, L, J, and M. N represents the energy level of the electron, L describes the orbital angular momentum, J takes into account both orbital and spin angular momentum, and M describes the orientation of the electron's spin.
Kris2456
I am doing an Atomic & Molecular physics course in Germany as part of my year abroad. A notation that is used in this course to denote energy levels is in the form below. I cannot find a good explanation of how it works, (and this may sound stupid) but i cannot find a mention of it in the notes as it was used outright, and has not been named so i am not sure what to look for.

The closest thing i found was this:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/Nuclear/nstate.html"

However the form used here is eg. NxPJ
The number x is unclear, but in all the questions it has 3 for P orbitals, and 4 for D orbitals.
Can anyone clarify this notation for me, the notes being in German does not help :smile:

The questions on the sheet are about the Zeeman Effect, and one of the things we have to do is calculate the Lande g-factor for the ground state of Magnesium and Boron. My assumption is that (in the aformentioned notation) magnesium is 32S0.5

I initially thought that J should be 0, since Mg has an S sub shell with 2 electrons, so it's total spin should be 0.5 + (-0.5) = 0, and L is also 0. Apparently in this case it is 0.5 i read somewhere, why is this?

However later on the state 3P0 is mentioned, asking how many "components" it would split into in a magnetic field. This time the initial N value is not used, so I am getting really confused.

I have a feeling that the answer is probably quite simple, but the combination of QM (which i am not great at) and the German is making this a big stumbling block.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The notation you are referring to is the so-called quantum number notation. It is a way of representing the different energy levels of an atom or molecule. The notation consists of four parts, N, L, J and M. N is the principal quantum number, which denotes the energy level of the electron. L is the angular momentum quantum number, which describes the orbital angular momentum of the electron. J is the total angular momentum quantum number, which takes into account both the orbital and spin angular momentum. Finally, M is the magnetic quantum number, which describes the orientation of the electron's spin. In the case of magnesium, the notation 32S0.5 indicates that the electron is in the 3rd energy level (N=3), has an s-orbital (L=0) and a spin of 0.5 (J=0.5). The 0.5 comes from the fact that the two electrons in the s-orbital have opposite spins. In the case of 3P0, the notation denotes a single electron in the 3rd energy level with an p-orbital (L=1) and a spin of 0 (J=0).

Related to Energy Level notation in relation to the Zeeman Effect

1. What is energy level notation?

Energy level notation is a way of representing the different energy levels of an atom or molecule. It uses letters and numbers to indicate the principal quantum number (n), orbital quantum number (l), and magnetic quantum number (m) of an electron in a specific energy state.

2. How does energy level notation relate to the Zeeman Effect?

The Zeeman Effect is the splitting of spectral lines in the presence of a magnetic field. Energy level notation is used to describe the different energy states of an electron, which are affected by the magnetic field and cause the spectral lines to split.

3. What is the significance of the principal quantum number (n) in energy level notation?

The principal quantum number represents the overall energy of an electron in an energy level. As n increases, the energy level and distance from the nucleus also increase. The energy level notation uses n to indicate the overall energy of the electron and the number of subshells within that energy level.

4. What is the role of the orbital quantum number (l) in energy level notation?

The orbital quantum number indicates the shape of the electron's orbital and the type of subshell it belongs to. It ranges from 0 to (n-1) and is represented by letters (s, p, d, f) for different subshells. In the Zeeman Effect, the value of l determines the number of spectral lines that will be split.

5. How does the magnetic quantum number (m) affect the Zeeman Effect?

The magnetic quantum number indicates the orientation of the electron's orbital in space and the direction of its spin. In the presence of a magnetic field, the different values of m will cause the spectral lines to split into multiple components, resulting in the Zeeman Effect.