Energy in Field of Circular Distribution

Hence, you don’t use the ½ in your method.In summary, there is a discrepancy between the two formulas for the electrostatic energy stored in a circular charge distribution. The first formula, U=\int \varphi dq, does not include a factor of 1/2, while the second formula, dU= (1/2) ρ \varphi dV, does. The reason for this difference is to avoid double-counting in the calculation of the work done to assemble the distribution. In the method used to obtain the correct answer, the potential is only due to the charge within the value of r at which the next infinitesimal ring of charge is added, while in the first formula, the
schaefera

Homework Statement

I'm trying to find the energy stored in the field of a circular charge distribution of constant charge density.

Homework Equations

I know that the energy stored in a field is the same as the potential energy of the system.
dU= [itex]\varphi[/itex] dq = [itex]\varphi[/itex](σ dV)
Though my book also says that dU= (1/2) ρ [itex]\varphi[/itex] dV
So I'm not sure which equation to use. (I'm using Purcell.)

The Attempt at a Solution

If I integrate without the 1/2, I get the correct answer (8Q^2)/(3πa).

But why don't I use the 1/2?

Also, I understand that dq=σ dA, and dA=2πr^2 dr, but why do I not use the expression with the 1/2 to get the correct answer when the book says that this formula gives the energy of a system? Where does the 1/2 even come from in doing from dq to dV (or dA) as the quantity being integrated?

Physics news on Phys.org
φ what does this denote here ?

I'm sorry not to specify! That's the potential. I didn't want to use V since I was writing that as a volume element.

Essentially, my question is really where the 1/2 comes from in the book's (general) definition, and why it's not in the definition I "derive" in thinking about the potential that a layer experiences as it is added to the circular distribution.

schaefera said:
I know that the energy stored in a field is the same as the potential energy of the system.
dU= [itex]\varphi[/itex] dq = [itex]\varphi[/itex](σ dV)
So I'm not sure which equation to use. (I'm using Purcell.)

Your first equation should be [itex]U=\frac{1}{2}\int \varphi dq = \frac{1}{2}\int \varphi \sigma dA[/itex]

The factor of 1/2 is is best seen by first looking at the discrete case of a collection of point charges. The work done when assembling the distribution can be calculated by first positioning one charge at its final location (this takes no work since there are not yet any other charges/fields present), then moving a second charge in from infinity to its final location, while holding the first charge fixed (so work is done against the electric field of the first charge), then bringing in a third charge while holding the first two fixed (so work is done against the fields of the first two charges), and so on. You end up with a sum like

[tex]W=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \sum_{i=1}^{n} \sum_{j=1}_{j > i}^{n} \frac{q_i q_r}{ | \mathbf{r}_j - \mathbf{r}_i |}[/tex]

where the condition [itex]j>i[/itex] ensures that you don't double-count interactions. You can simplify this by intentionally double-counting interactions and then dividing by 2 to get

[tex]W=\frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^{n} q_i \left( \sum_{j=1}_{j \neq i}^{n} \frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon_0} \frac{ q_r} {|\mathbf{r}_j - \mathbf{r}_i|} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \sum_{i=1}^{n} q_i \varphi( \mathbf{r}_i )[/tex]

where [itex]\varphi( \mathbf{r}_i )[/itex] is the potential at the location [itex]\mathbf{r}_i[/itex] of the charge [itex]q_i[/itex] due to all the other charges.

Generalizing to a continuous distribution with [itex]\sum \to \int[/itex], [itex]q_i \to dq[/itex] gives you the correct formula.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I integrate without the 1/2, I get the correct answer (8Q^2)/(3πa).

But why don't I use the 1/2?

Also, I understand that dq=σ dA, and dA=2πr^2 dr,

No, [itex]dA= r dr d\phi[/itex]. Try your integration again.

I believe my initial statement was correct. dA is the area of a little circular ring being added.

So I did accidentally raise r to the 2nd power, but other than that I was right (think of it has starting after the angular integration of your suggestion, if that helps you understand the math more easily).

It still varies by 1/2 if I use the book's definition.

schaefera said:
I believe my initial statement was correct. dA is the area of a little circular ring being added.

So I did accidentally raise r to the 2nd power, but other than that I was right (think of it has starting after the angular integration of your suggestion, if that helps you understand the math more easily).

Sure, [itex]\int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^r dA = \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^r r d\phi dr = 2 \pi \int_0^r rdr[/itex], but that does not mean [itex]dA=2\pi r dr[/itex]. ([itex]dA[/itex] is a 2D differential, while [itex]dr[/itex] is only a 1D differential, so it makes no sense to say [itex]dA=2\pi r dr[/itex])

It still varies by 1/2 if I use the book's definition.

What does? Your final answer, or the formula for the electrostatic energy?

schaefera said:

In this expression for dU, [itex]\varphi[/itex] stands for the total potential at the location of dV due to all of the charge on the entire disk. The ½ is to avoid double-counting as explained by gabbagabbahey. In the method that you used to get the correct answer, you are building up the charge step by step from the center outward and calculating the work for each step. So, for your method, [itex]\varphi[/itex] is not the potential due to all of the charge on the disk , rather it’s the potential due to only the charge within the value of r at which you are adding the next infinitesimal ring of charge.

Related to Energy in Field of Circular Distribution

1. What is the concept of energy in the field of circular distribution?

The concept of energy in the field of circular distribution refers to the amount of energy present in a system that is arranged in a circular or symmetrical manner. This energy is typically measured as the potential or kinetic energy of the objects within the circular distribution.

2. How is energy distributed in a circular field?

In a circular distribution, energy is typically distributed evenly among all of the objects within the field. This means that each object has a relatively equal amount of potential and kinetic energy, which allows for a stable and balanced system.

3. What factors affect the energy distribution in a circular field?

The primary factor that affects energy distribution in a circular field is the distance between objects. The closer the objects are to each other, the more potential and kinetic energy they will have. Other factors such as mass and velocity can also impact energy distribution.

4. How does energy change in a circular field over time?

In a closed system, the total amount of energy in a circular field will remain constant over time. However, the distribution of energy among the objects within the field may change as the objects move and interact with each other. This can result in changes in potential and kinetic energy for individual objects.

5. How is energy in a circular field calculated?

The total energy in a circular field can be calculated using the principle of conservation of energy. This involves determining the potential and kinetic energy of each object in the field and summing them together to get the total energy. The specific equations used will depend on the properties and behavior of the objects in the field.