Energy in electromagnetic waves

In summary, electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles and is responsible for many different phenomena. Energy transfer in these waves occurs through the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields, with the frequency of the wave directly impacting its energy. The amplitude of an electromagnetic wave affects its intensity but not its overall energy. Additionally, electromagnetic waves can be harnessed and converted into usable forms of energy.
map7s

Homework Statement

Find the electric and magnetic field amplitudes in an electromagnetic wave that has an average energy density of 3.0 J/m3.

Homework Equations

u=1/2 eo E^2 + 1/(2uo) B^2
u=eo E^2
u=B^2 /uo

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using these equations, but I wasn't getting the right answer. Do I have to change the units or am I just using the wrong equations?

Physics news on Phys.org
just kidding...I figured it out :)

how do you do it?!

Related to Energy in electromagnetic waves

1. What is the relationship between energy and electromagnetic waves?

Electromagnetic waves are a form of energy that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles. This energy travels in the form of waves and is responsible for many different phenomena, such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. How does energy transfer occur in electromagnetic waves?

In electromagnetic waves, energy is transferred through the oscillation of electric and magnetic fields. As the wave moves through space, the electric and magnetic fields alternate between being perpendicular to each other and parallel to each other. This oscillation is what carries the energy from one point to another.

3. How does the frequency of an electromagnetic wave affect its energy?

The frequency of an electromagnetic wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that waves with higher frequencies, such as gamma rays, have more energy than waves with lower frequencies, such as radio waves.

4. What is the role of amplitude in the energy of an electromagnetic wave?

The amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is related to its intensity, or how bright or loud it appears to us. However, it does not directly affect the energy of the wave. The energy of an electromagnetic wave is determined by its frequency, while the amplitude only affects how the energy is distributed over a given area or volume.

5. Can electromagnetic waves be used as a source of energy?

Yes, electromagnetic waves can be harnessed and converted into usable forms of energy. For example, solar panels use the energy from sunlight, which is a form of electromagnetic radiation, to generate electricity. Radio waves can also be used to transmit energy wirelessly for various purposes.