Energy from food to Mechanical Energy & distance traveled

In summary: The KE would be some fraction of that depending on the person's efficiency. So, I would say to use:KE = efficiency * 92180 JBut I'm not sure that's what you are meant to do. Maybe you are supposed to use the 380 W to find the distance traveled.Also, you might want to post the problem to the homework help forums. They are set up for this type of question. This forum is just for discussing problem solving techniques, not for solving specific problems.
KAC

Homework Statement

An "energy bar" contains 22 g of carbohydrates. If the energy bar was his only fuel, how far could a 68 kg person walk at 5 km/h?

Mass(person) = 68 kg; v = 5km/h; 22g carb = 4 Cal/1 carb = 88 Cal; P(power of man walking) = 380W (this is derived from my textbook).

Homework Equations

How long is the time interval that the man walks at; what is the KE of the man due to his efficiency.

The Attempt at a Solution

velocity needs to be converted to m/s rather than km/h, so 5km/h*1000m/1km*1h/60s=83m/s. (This seems incorrect to me, but I don't understand how the answer would be different).

22g carb* 4Cal/1 Carb= 88 Cal; 88 Cal*4190J/1 Cal = 368720J; 368720 = Ecarb (I am also confused in this portion of the problem; does 1 carb = 1 Cal or 1 cal? Am I multiplying by 4.19J for 1 cal or 4190 for 1 Cal?)

efficiency = output/input; e = KE/Ecarb; KE = Ecarb*e; KE = 368720* .25 (.25 for the efficiency of a person, derived from book/lecture); KE = 92180 J.

P= KE/time interval; time interval = KE/P; t = 92180J/380W; t= 242.57s.

displacement=velocity*time interval; d = 83m/s*242.57s; d=20133.31m.

I know this final answer for displacement is completely wrong, but I cannot figure out where I made my mistakes in my calculations; I believe I am just setting the problem up incorrectly. Can somebody help me out?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello KAC. Welcome to PF!

Are there 60 s in one hour?

I believe 1 carb = 4 Cal (not 4 cal)

I'm not sure why you are using the symbol KE here. But your basic procedure looks correct to me.

TSny said:
Hello KAC. Welcome to PF!

Are there 60 s in one hour?

I believe 1 carb = 4 Cal (not 4 cal)

I'm not sure why you are using the symbol KE here. But your basic procedure looks correct to me.
TSny,

Thank you for your welcome! And thank you for pointing out my white mistake. LOL. So let me try this out again:

v = 5km/h*1000m/1km*1h/3600s= 1.39 m/s.
e = output/input; efficiency*Ecarb = KE; .25*368720J; KE = 92180J.
P = K/time interval; t = K/P; t= 92180J/380W; t = 242.58 s.
displacement = v*t; d = 1.39m/s * 242.58s = 337.2 m

But this displacement was also incorrect... Have I made any other mistakes in my calculations or used the wrong formulas?

Hope I'm not overlooking something. But your method looks correct to me. I wonder if you are meant to take into account the 25% efficiency. I don't know.

The 92180 J is not the kinetic energy (KE) of the person. It's the total energy used to walk the distance.

Related to Energy from food to Mechanical Energy & distance traveled

1. What is the process of converting food into mechanical energy?

The process of converting food into mechanical energy is known as metabolism. It involves breaking down food molecules through digestion and then using the resulting energy to power movement and other bodily functions.

2. How does the body use energy from food to power movement?

The body uses a molecule called adenosine triphosphate (ATP) to store and transfer energy. When food is broken down during metabolism, the energy is used to produce ATP, which is then used to power movement by contracting muscles.

3. How is the amount of energy from food measured?

The amount of energy from food is measured in calories. One calorie is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. When we talk about the energy content of food, we usually use kilocalories (kcal), which is equivalent to 1000 calories.

4. Can different types of food provide different amounts of energy?

Yes, different types of food can provide different amounts of energy. Foods that are high in carbohydrates and fats tend to be more energy-dense than foods that are high in protein. This is because carbohydrates and fats contain more calories per gram than protein does.

5. How does the distance traveled relate to the amount of energy from food?

The distance traveled is directly related to the amount of energy from food. This is because the body needs a certain amount of energy to move a certain distance. The more energy that is consumed from food, the further the body can travel before running out of energy and becoming fatigued.