Energy from cosmic microwave background

In summary, the conversation revolves around the question of how much energy hits the Earth each year from the cosmic microwave background (CMB). After some discussion and calculations, it is estimated that the CMB provides about 1.6 gigawatts of energy to the Earth, while the Earth in turn emits about 100 million times more energy into space.
chris1969
Hello everyone

I've a question about the cosmic microwave background which my nephew asked me a couple of days ago. How much energy hits the Earth each year from the CMB? I'm assuming here that it is measurable in this way, but apologies if not.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Chris

Likes berkeman
Science news on Phys.org
On Wikipedia, I found this number for the intensity of the CMB. ##4.005 x 10^{-14} \frac{J}{m^3}##

Now, can you look up the Earth's surface area and do the rest of the math?

anorlunda said:
On Wikipedia, I found this number for the intensity of the CMB. ##4.005 x 10^{-14} \frac{J}{m^3}##

Now, can you look up the Earth's surface area and do the rest of the math?

Unfortunately you indicated a volumetric density. I think the number is reasonable though as https://dspace.carthage.edu/bitstream/handle/123456789/37/Adam%20Ferg.pdf?sequence=1 states ~10^-14 W/m^2.

MarkJW said:
Unfortunately you indicated a volumetric density.

Easy enough to fix - multiply by the speed of light.

Likes Nugatory
Vanadium 50 said:
Easy enough to fix - multiply by the speed of light.
Not that easy, the direction is random. There is another factor of order one.

Thanks ever so much everyone. Can I check my logic/arithmetic please?

1) Energy density of CMB is 4.005 * 10^-14 (Joules per cube metre)
2) Radius of Earth is about 6,371 km
3) Surface area of Earth is about 1.28 * 10^14 metres squared
4) Speed of light is 300,000 m/s

Multiplying (1) * (3) * (4) would give about 1.53 * 10^6 Joules per second from the CMB.

Am I on the right lines here, or have I made a basic error somewhere.

Thanks once again. It's been over 20 years since I did high school physics, so I more than a little rusty.

Chris

I would go with Stefan-Boltzmann and use the surface area of the Earth as the surface area of the black body that is shining on us - in which case you get a power of:

Area_of_Earth x Sigma x T^4 = (5.10*10^14) * (5.67*10^-8) * (2.726^4) = 1.6 Gigawatts

In case your cousin wonders whether the sea will eventually boil from all that energy hitting the earth, you might care to point out that the Earth (being at say 300°K) is shining back into space of order 100 million times what it is receiving from the CMB (being at 2.7°K). ((300/2.7)^4 from Stefan-Boltzmann law)

Last edited:

Related to Energy from cosmic microwave background

1. What is cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation?

Cosmic microwave background (CMB) radiation is a type of electromagnetic radiation that is leftover from the early stages of the universe, specifically from the time when the universe became transparent to light. It is the oldest light in the universe and is present in all directions, making it a uniform background radiation.

2. How is energy extracted from CMB radiation?

Energy can be extracted from CMB radiation through a process called the Sunyaev-Zel'dovich effect. This effect occurs when CMB photons pass through hot, ionized gas, and are scattered by high-energy electrons. This scattering causes a distortion in the CMB spectrum, which can be measured and used to extract energy.

3. What are the potential applications of extracting energy from CMB radiation?

One potential application of extracting energy from CMB radiation is in space exploration. CMB radiation is present throughout the universe, making it a potential source of energy for spacecraft traveling long distances. It could also potentially be used to power deep space telescopes and other scientific instruments.

4. Are there any challenges to extracting energy from CMB radiation?

Yes, there are several challenges to extracting energy from CMB radiation. One major challenge is the low energy density of CMB radiation, which means that a large area would be needed to collect a significant amount of energy. Additionally, the technology for extracting energy from CMB radiation is still in its early stages and requires further research and development.

5. Could extracting energy from CMB radiation have any negative effects on the universe?

At this time, there is no evidence to suggest that extracting energy from CMB radiation would have any negative effects on the universe. However, it is important for scientists to continue studying and monitoring the effects of this process to ensure that it does not have any unforeseen consequences.