Energy Eigenstates of a Perturbed Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

In summary, the student attempted to solve for the energy states of a harmonic oscillator by expressing all of the position and momentum operators in terms of the raising and lowering operators. After simplifying using the commutator between a and a dagger and a few steps of algebra, they were able to find the energy eigenvalues. There is no degeneracy due to the ω' and ω" indicating which component (x and y) of the oscillator is at which energy level.
PChar

Homework Statement

(See attachment)

Homework Equations

[itex] x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}} ( a + a^{\dagger} )[/itex]

[itex] x = i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m \omega}{2}} ( a^{\dagger} - a )[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

In part a) I was able to construct a separable Hamiltonian for the harmonic oscillators in the x and y direction.

The x Hamiltonian includes the term [itex] - \frac{λ x'^{2}}{2}[/itex]

and the y Hamiltonian includes the term [itex] \frac{λ y'^{2}}{2}[/itex]

Before moving on to part b), at my professor's advice, I collected the squared terms like so:

(for x): [itex]\frac{m}{2} ( \omega^{2} - \frac{λ}{m} ) x'^{2}[/itex]

Calling the term within the brackets α (for y I called it β since there is a + instead of a -)

moving on to part b) I attempted to solve for the energy states by expressing all of the position and momentum operators in terms of the raising and lowering operators.

(for x) after expanding:

[itex]H_{x'} = -\frac{\hbar \omega}{4}(a_{x'}^{\dagger 2} - a_{x'}a_{x'}^{\dagger}- a_{x'}^{\dagger}a_{x'} + a_{x'}^{2}) + \frac{\hbar \omega}{4α}(a_{x'}^{2} + a_{x'}a_{x'}^{\dagger} + a_{x'}^{\dagger}a_{x'} + a_{x'}^{\dagger 2})[/itex]

After simplifying using the commutator between a and a dagger and a few steps of algebra:

[itex]H_{x'} = \frac{\hbar \omega}{4α} [ (2n_{x} + 1)(α + 1) + (1 - α)(a_{x'}^{\dagger 2} + a_{x'}^{2})][/itex]

I'm pretty sure I can't have those raising and lowering operators in my energy eigenvalues but I can't see any way to eliminate them, I know that in the unperturbed oscillator, the squared terms from the position and momentum operators will cancel, but the alpha and beta are causing problems.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Quantum problem.png
    Quantum problem.png
    22 KB · Views: 699
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, PChar.

In terms of the primed quantities, doesn't the Hamiltonian have the form of two independent harmonic oscillators? The x'-oscillator will have ω' = √(ω2-λ/m) and the y-oscillator will have ω'' = √(ω2+λ/m). If so, then you should be able to write out the total energy of the system without really doing any more work.

If you do want to introduce raising and lowering operators, I think they would have the form that you gave below for the unprimed variables except ω would be replaced by ω' for the x’-oscillator and ω'' for the y’-oscillator.

PChar said:
[itex] x = \sqrt{\frac{\hbar}{2m \omega}} ( a + a^{\dagger} )[/itex]

[itex] p = i \sqrt{\frac{\hbar m \omega}{2}} ( a^{\dagger} - a )[/itex]

Ah, figures I would try do it the hard way.

So it seems like my energy eigenvalues will be:

[itex]E_{n} = \hbar \omega ' (n_{x} + \frac{1}{2}) + \hbar \omega '' (n_{y} + \frac{1}{2} )[/itex]

Which should also answer the question about degeneracy, there is none due to the ω' and ω" indicating which component (x and y) of the oscillator is at which energy level.

Yes, that looks right. Good.

Dear student,

Thank you for sharing your attempt at solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved in this problem, but you are struggling with the algebraic manipulation. This is a common challenge in quantum mechanics, as the equations can become quite complex.

I would suggest trying to simplify the expression for the Hamiltonian further by using the commutation relations between the raising and lowering operators. This should help you eliminate the squared terms and end up with a simpler expression for the energy eigenstates.

Alternatively, you could also try using the ladder operator method to find the energy eigenstates. This method involves finding a set of operators that can raise and lower the energy states, and then using them to find the energy eigenvalues and eigenstates.

I would also recommend consulting with your professor or a tutor for further assistance with this problem. They can provide you with additional guidance and resources to help you solve it successfully.

Best of luck!

Related to Energy Eigenstates of a Perturbed Quantum Harmonic Oscillator

1. What is a perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator?

A perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a quantum mechanical system that is subject to a small external disturbance or perturbation. It is a modified version of the simple harmonic oscillator, which is a system that exhibits periodic motion with a specific energy and frequency.

2. What are energy eigenstates?

Energy eigenstates are the possible energy levels that a quantum mechanical system can have. Each energy eigenstate corresponds to a specific energy value, and the system will only have that energy if it is in that particular energy eigenstate. These energy eigenstates are a result of the quantization of energy in quantum mechanics.

3. How do energy eigenstates of a perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator differ from those of a simple harmonic oscillator?

The energy eigenstates of a perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator are similar to those of a simple harmonic oscillator, except that they are slightly shifted in energy due to the external perturbation. This means that the energy levels are no longer evenly spaced, and the system may have new energy eigenstates that were not present in the unperturbed system.

4. How can energy eigenstates of a perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator be calculated?

The energy eigenstates of a perturbed quantum harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the perturbation theory method. This involves treating the perturbation as a small correction to the simple harmonic oscillator and using mathematical techniques to find the new energy eigenstates and their corresponding energies.

5. What is the significance of energy eigenstates in quantum mechanics?

Energy eigenstates are important in quantum mechanics because they represent the stable, stationary states of a system. This means that the system will remain in that state unless a perturbation causes it to transition to a different energy eigenstate. The energy eigenstates also provide information about the possible energy levels and probabilities of a system, which is crucial for understanding and predicting its behavior.