Energy E in total per level, or per state in level?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy levels in a 3D box using a standard equation. The question is raised whether the calculated energy levels are the total energy per level or if they apply to each state within the level. The response clarifies that the energy calculated using the formula is for a single particle in a specific state, and that different variables may be expected for the different dimensions.
ZedCar
I'm working on a problem concerning energy levels in a 3D box.

I have calculated the energy levels in eV using the standard equation:

En = { { ∏^2 (h-bar)^2 } / 2ma^2 } (n^2 + n^2 + n^2)

Are these calculated energy levels the total energy per level?

Or does the energy E calculated using this formula apply to each state within that level?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect different variables for the different dimensions.
That is the energy of a single particle in that state (or one of those states, if you have multiple states with the same energy).

mfb said:
I would expect different variables for the different dimensions.

The 3 dimensions are all equal.

Related to Energy E in total per level, or per state in level?

1. What is energy E in total per level?

Energy E in total per level refers to the total amount of energy that an electron possesses in a particular energy level. This energy is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How is energy E per state in level calculated?

The energy E per state in level is calculated by dividing the total energy of the electron in a particular energy level by the total number of states available in that level. This value is also known as the average energy per state.

3. What is the relationship between energy E and the energy level of an electron?

The energy level of an electron is directly proportional to its energy E. This means that as the energy level increases, the energy of the electron also increases.

4. How does energy E in total per level affect the behavior of an electron?

The energy E in total per level determines the stability and reactivity of an electron. Higher energy levels make the electron more reactive, while lower energy levels make it more stable.

5. Can energy E in total per level be changed?

Yes, the energy E in total per level can be changed by either adding or removing energy from the electron. This can be done through various processes such as absorption or emission of photons, or by interacting with other particles.