Energy dissipated over time by resistors

In summary, energy dissipation refers to the conversion of electrical energy into heat energy through the use of resistors. The amount of energy dissipated over time by resistors is directly proportional to the current and resistance, and can be calculated using the formula P = I^2R. Factors such as current, resistance, material, and temperature can affect the amount of energy dissipated. Understanding energy dissipation is important for designing circuits and minimizing energy waste. This can be achieved by using resistors with higher resistance values, materials with lower resistivity, and keeping resistors at lower temperatures.
scarne92

Homework Statement

In the figure below, R1 = 9.00 , R2 = 23.0 and the ideal battery has an emf = 12.0 V.

hrw7_27-71.gif

(a) 0.24 A

(b) How much energy is dissipated by all four resistors in 1.00 min?

The Attempt at a Solution

Not sure where I went wrong.

P = inet2Rnet

P = i12R2 + i22R2 + i32R2 + i42R1

P = (0.24)2(23)+(0.24)2(23)+(0.24)2(23)+(0.24)2(9)

P = (0.24)2(23+23+23+9)

P = 4.4928 J/s

P = dW/dt

4.4928 = dW/60s

dW = (4.4928)(60)

W = 269.568 J

Physics news on Phys.org
I suspect you calculated Rnet incorrectly, and I get something different for inet than you.

If you show how you calculated Rnet, we might be able to spot the error.

Related to Energy dissipated over time by resistors

What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation is the process of converting electrical energy into heat energy, typically through the use of resistors. This occurs when an electric current passes through a resistor, causing the electrons to collide with atoms and create heat energy.

How is energy dissipated over time by resistors?

Energy dissipation by resistors is directly proportional to the amount of current passing through the resistor and the resistance of the resistor. This means that as the current increases or the resistance increases, more energy will be dissipated over time by the resistor. This relationship can be represented by the formula P = I^2R, where P is power (energy dissipated per unit time), I is current, and R is resistance.

What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated by resistors?

The amount of energy dissipated by resistors is primarily affected by the amount of current passing through the resistor and the resistance of the resistor. However, other factors such as the material of the resistor and the temperature can also have an impact on energy dissipation.

Why is energy dissipation important to understand in terms of resistors?

Understanding energy dissipation in resistors is important because it allows us to calculate the amount of heat that will be generated in a circuit and design circuits that can handle the amount of heat being produced. It also helps us understand the efficiency of a circuit and how much energy is being wasted as heat.

How can we minimize energy dissipation in a circuit?

One way to minimize energy dissipation in a circuit is by using resistors with higher resistance values, as this will reduce the amount of current passing through the resistor. Additionally, using materials with lower resistivity and keeping resistors at lower temperatures can also help minimize energy dissipation.