Energy created by a balloon released underwater

In summary, the conversation discusses the amount of energy generated by a balloon that is released under water, specifically at a depth of 200ft below sea level and travels 100ft to the surface. The volume of the balloon is 3 cubic ft and it holds air at a pressure of 100psi. The formula given is Kw=(Mass of Water per cubic Ft)*(Gravity)*(Depth2 - Depth1) and the estimated energy generated is 1038.96 Watts. It is noted that this formula may not account for all factors and may be an overestimation.
ceej
How much energy (Watts?) would be created by a balloon that was released under water? I am picturing a scuba diver's inflatable vest (a BC) that is suddenly inflated (assume zero air inside to begin with). Or more accurately if you have ever seen a free-diver who swims down a few hundred feet and then inflates the balloon that rockets them back up to the surface. In both cases, compressed air is released into a balloon-like vessel all at once. Assume the following:

Depth released: 200ft below sea level
Length of travel: 100ft (stops 100ft below surface)
Volume of balloon: 3 cubic ft
Balloon holds this 3 cubic ft of air at 100psi so it will inflate at 200ft- assumed .5psi per ft. (don't know if this is relevant)

I am interested in how much energy is generated in the 100ft of travel towards the surface. Does the energy increase in direct relation to the length of travel or along some sort of a curve? A formula would be great so I could input different numbers. Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
Mass of that volume of water * g * ( depth2 - depth1 ), I think.
Regards.

Thanks, Springs. I take it that is the volume of water displaced by the balloon (ie 3 cubic ft)?

If it is the volume displaced then:

Kw=(Mass of Water per cubic Ft)*(Gravity)*(Depth2 - Depth1)

Kw=(62.4 lbs/cu ft*volume)*(9.8m/s^2)*(Depth2 - Depth1)Kw=(187.2 Lbs)*(31.36 FT/s^2)*(200ft-100ft)

Kw=587,059 Ft Lbs/Sec^2

Kw=766.19 Ft Lbs/Sec

Kw=1.039

Watts=1038.96

Correct?

Also, that formula seems to say to me "energy produced by a volume of water free falling a given distance" as opposed to the same volume of air floating a given distance through water, but I am certainly a novice. What is the theory there?

Last edited:
Hi.

ceej said:
Kw=(187.2 Lbs)*(31.36 FT/s^2)*(200ft-100ft)
Kw=587,059 Ft Lbs/Sec^2

Unit of the last formula is
Kw=587,059 Lbs Ft^2 /Sec^2
By multiplying the constant ratio of 1kg/1Lbs * (1m/1Ft)^2 , this will give Joule = Watt sec , MKSA unit of energy.

You are right. the difference of heights of water ( or minus water mass excluded by the balloon ) generates kinetic energy of balloon.
Some approximations done are
- weight of balloon including air was neglected to zero. You should replace water mass to the mass difference of water and balloon in the formula for correction.
- there is no water flow, heat, sound or any other energy dissipation by motion of balloon.
Regards.

Last edited:
I'm sure this is well understood by the OP and Sweet, but for others keep in mind that the total energy gained is less than the total energy required to enable the event.

Deleted post which didn't make much sense!

Last edited:

Related to Energy created by a balloon released underwater

1. How is energy created by a balloon released underwater?

When a balloon is released underwater, it starts to rise due to its buoyancy. As it rises, the pressure of the surrounding water decreases, causing the volume of the balloon to increase. This increase in volume creates a displacement of water, which requires energy. This energy is obtained from the stored potential energy of the balloon, which is released as the balloon rises.

2. Is the energy created by a balloon released underwater renewable?

Yes, the energy created by a balloon released underwater is considered renewable. This is because the energy is obtained from the potential energy of the balloon, which can be replenished by filling the balloon again. As long as there is a constant supply of balloons, the energy created by releasing them underwater can be sustained.

3. Can the energy created by a balloon released underwater be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, the energy created by a balloon released underwater can be harnessed for practical use. This process is known as hydroelectric power generation and involves using the rising and falling motion of the balloon to turn a turbine, which then generates electricity. This energy can be used to power various devices and can be a sustainable source of energy.

4. How does the depth of release affect the energy created by a balloon released underwater?

The depth of release does not have a significant impact on the energy created by a balloon released underwater. The primary factor that affects the energy created is the size and volume of the balloon. However, releasing the balloon from a greater depth may result in a longer duration for the balloon to rise, thus producing more energy due to a longer displacement of water.

5. Are there any environmental impacts of releasing balloons underwater for energy creation?

There may be some environmental impacts of releasing balloons underwater for energy creation. The rising and falling motion of the balloon can potentially disrupt marine life and habitats. Additionally, there may be concerns about the disposal of used balloons, as they can contribute to ocean pollution. It is essential to consider these factors and find ways to mitigate any negative impacts when using this method for energy creation.