Energy Conservation and Spring Compression

• Thread starter NkaujHelp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the question asks how much a particular spring must be compressed to launch a marble horizontally at 150 cm/s, given that it can launch the marble at 75 cm/s when compressed 10 cm. The solution involves considering the relationship between compression, speed, and energy. Simply doubling the compression does not necessarily result in a doubling of speed, as speed is determined by energy rather than height. Therefore, other factors such as the force applied by the spring and potential energy must be taken into account.
NkaujHelp

Homework Statement

If a particular spring is compressed 10 cm, it can launch a marble horizontally at 75 cm/s. How much must it be compressed to launch the marble horizontally at 150 cm/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that the spring force needs to be doubled in order for the marble to reach double the height. Is this right? I feel like this is way too simple for my physics professor to put on an exam. I feel like there has to be something else like equations to try and solve this.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's always simple to guess an answer. What about trying to work it out?

There are several different ways to work this out. For example, if you know the force applied by the spring at each amount of compression, x, you can calculate the acceleration and so the speed as it leaves the spring. Or, if you know the potential energy of a spring at a given compression then you can calculate the kinetic energy when all that energy is converted from potential to kinetic energy and so get the speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
NkaujHelp said:

Homework Statement

If a particular spring is compressed 10 cm, it can launch a marble horizontally at 75 cm/s. How much must it be compressed to launch the marble horizontally at 150 cm/s?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that the spring force needs to be doubled in order for the marble to reach double the height. Is this right? I feel like this is way too simple for my physics professor to put on an exam. I feel like there has to be something else like equations to try and solve this.
The question asks about doubling the speed, but in your 'attempt' you mention doubling the height. If you think one implies the other then you are wrong. Also, it does say horizontally, so I'm not sure how height would come into it.
As Halls suggests, think about energy. How do doubled compression, doubled speed and doubled height relate to energy?

Related to Energy Conservation and Spring Compression

1. What is "Physics by the Proportion"?

"Physics by the Proportion" is a scientific approach that uses mathematical ratios and proportions to analyze and understand physical phenomena. It is based on the idea that everything in the universe can be described and predicted using mathematical relationships.

2. How is "Physics by the Proportion" different from traditional physics?

"Physics by the Proportion" differs from traditional physics in that it focuses on using proportions and ratios rather than equations to explain and predict physical phenomena. It also emphasizes the interconnectedness of different physical systems and the importance of understanding their relationships.

3. What are some real-world applications of "Physics by the Proportion"?

"Physics by the Proportion" has many real-world applications, including in fields such as engineering, architecture, economics, and meteorology. It is also used in areas such as sports and music to optimize performance and achieve desired outcomes.

4. Can "Physics by the Proportion" be applied to all areas of physics?

While "Physics by the Proportion" can be applied to many areas of physics, it may not be suitable for all phenomena. Some physical systems may be too complex to be fully described using proportions and ratios, and in those cases, traditional physics approaches may be more appropriate.

5. How can I learn more about "Physics by the Proportion"?

There are many resources available for learning about "Physics by the Proportion," including books, online courses, and scientific articles. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic mathematical concepts and principles before delving into this approach to physics.