Energy Bands: Kronig-Penney Model

In summary, the Kronig-Penney Model seeks solutions for the time-independent Schrödinger equation inside and outside of a periodic potential. In the region of -b < x < 0, the solution does not have complex exponentials, as the wavefunction will decay in this area. In the region of 0 < x < a, the solution is a linear combination of exponentials. Boundary conditions are applied to determine the wave solutions in the two regions, and the allowed and forbidden energy values can be defined by solving for the determinant of the coefficients. Bloch's Theorem and transitional symmetry operations also play a role in determining the wave solutions.
torehan
In Kronig-Penney Model we seek solutions for time independent Scrödinger equation inside and outside of the periodic potential.
Delta.png

for 0 < x < a;​
V(x) =
V0 for -b < x < 0​

My question is why solution of the KP Scrödinger equation in the region of [tex] -b < x < 0 [/tex] doesnot have complex exponentials as in the region of [tex] 0 < x < a [/tex] ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In this region we have
[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \psi }}{{dx^2 }} = k^2 \psi,
[/tex]

where

[tex]
k^2 = \frac{{2m\left( {V_0 - E} \right)}}{{\hbar ^2 }}.
[/tex]
The solution to this 2nd order ODE is a linear combination of exponentials (with real arguments). If you think about it physically, the wavefunction will also decay in this area, which can only happen if the argument of the exponential is real.

Niles said:
In this region we have
[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \psi }}{{dx^2 }} = k^2 \psi,
[/tex]

where

[tex]
k^2 = \frac{{2m\left( {V_0 - E} \right)}}{{\hbar ^2 }}.
[/tex]
The solution to this 2nd order ODE is a linear combination of exponentials.

OK, so what about first region?

[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \psi }}{{dx^2 }} = q^2 \psi,
[/tex]

where
[tex]q^2 = \frac{{2m\left( {E} \right)}}{{\hbar ^2 }}.[/tex]

Isn't it also 2.nd order ODE ?

In the region with V=0 we have
[tex]
\frac{{d^2 \psi }}{{dx^2 }} = -\hat k^2 \psi,
[/tex]

where

[tex]
\hat k^2 = \frac{{2m\left( {E} \right)}}{{\hbar ^2 }}.
[/tex]

Solutions are traveling waves (going left and right).

Oh i see, I had some conceptual errors on writing the wave eq.
Thanks!
Torehan

I know that this topic doesn't take much attention of most of you as there are more interesting topics about paradoxes of physics but I need a little bit guidance about reproducing the band structure diagrams shown in Kittel , 170p in 8th Edition :)

So we have different wave solution for V0 region and 0 region,

[tex]\psi_{1}(x)=Ae^{ikx}+Be^{-ikx}\ \ \ \ \ \ \ for \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 0<x<a[/tex]

[tex]\psi_{2}(x)=Ce^{qx}+De^{-qx}\ \ \ \ \ \ \ for \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \-b<x<0[/tex]

After we apply the boundary conditions (usual QM boundary condiions in in square well potentials ),

[tex] \psi_{1}(0) = \psi_{2}(0) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{1}'(0) = \psi_{2}'(0) [/tex]

[tex] \psi_{1}(a) = \psi_{2}(-b) [/tex] and [tex] \psi_{1}'(a) = \psi_{2}'(-b) [/tex]

Then, we have four equations

[tex]A+B=C+D[/tex]

[tex]ik(A-B)=q(C-D)[/tex]

[tex]Ae^{ika}+Be^{-ika}=(Ce^{-qb}+De^{qb})e^{i\alpha(a+b)}[/tex]

[tex]ik(Ae^{ika}-Be^{-ika})=q(Ce^{-qb}-De^{qb})e^{i\alpha(a+b)}[/tex]

Determinant of the coefficients of this equation system mush vanish to have solutions. Than determinant yields,

[tex]([q^{2}-k^{2}]/2qk) sinh(qb)sin(ka) + cosh(qb)cosh(ka) = cos (\alpha(a+b)) [/tex]

Finally my issues
  • How can I define the allowed and forbidden energy values?
  • to be continued...

[tex]e^{i\alpha(a+b)}[/tex] ---->The term [tex]\alpha[/tex] came from Bloch's Theorem and (a+b) came from application of transitional symmetry operation to Bloch form wavefunction!

Last edited:

Related to Energy Bands: Kronig-Penney Model

What is the Kronig-Penney model?

The Kronig-Penney model is a simplified mathematical model used to describe the energy bands of electrons in a periodic crystal lattice. It takes into account the periodicity of the crystal lattice and the interactions between neighboring atoms to explain the allowed energy levels for electrons in the material.

How does the Kronig-Penney model explain energy bands?

The model considers the periodic potential of the crystal lattice and the wave-like nature of electrons to explain the allowed energy levels for electrons in the material. It takes into account the energy of the electron at different points in the lattice, and the interference of the electron wave function as it moves through the lattice to form energy bands.

What are the key assumptions of the Kronig-Penney model?

The model assumes that the crystal lattice is infinite and homogeneous, and that the interactions between neighboring atoms can be described by a simple potential function. It also assumes that the electrons in the material do not interact with each other.

How does the Kronig-Penney model differ from other models of energy bands?

The Kronig-Penney model is a simplified model that only considers the interactions between neighboring atoms in a crystal lattice. Other models, such as the nearly free electron model and the tight-binding model, take into account additional factors such as the electron-electron interactions and the effects of impurities on the crystal lattice.

What are some practical applications of the Kronig-Penney model?

The Kronig-Penney model is used in materials science and semiconductor physics to understand the electronic properties of materials. It is also used in the design and development of electronic devices, such as transistors and diodes, which rely on the behavior of electrons in energy bands.