Energy and Rotational Inertia Question

In summary, the problem involves a pulley attached to a wall with a block of mass m hanging from it by a rope. The system is released from rest and the block drops a distance h. The rope does not slip on the pulley and the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is g. The questions ask about the work done by gravity on the system, the change in potential energy of the system, the change in kinetic energy of the system, the speed of the block in terms of given variables, and the angular speed of the pulley in terms of given variables. The work done by gravity would be mgh, as the only part of the system affected by gravity is the block. The potential energy change would be mgh
ForceSith

Homework Statement

A pulley of moment of inertia I and radius r is fixed to a wall. A rope is wrapped around it and tied to a block of mass m. The block is initially held at rest, and then it is released. The block drops a distance h. The rope does not slip on the pulley, and the magnitude of the acceleration due to gravity is g. You know I, r, m, h, and g. [NOTE: a diagram wasn't given, but the professor said it was just a simple pulley attached to the wall with a block hanging off of it from a rope).

-What is the work done by gravity on the system?
-What is the change in potential energy of the system? change in kinetic energy of the system?
-What is the speed v of the block in terms of I, r, m, h, and g?
-What is the angular speed (omega) in terms of I, r, m, h, and g?

Homework Equations

These weren't given in the problem, but:
K = (1/2)*I*w^2 + (1/2)*M*v^2
U = mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, I have no idea about questions 1 and 3, I think it has something to do with conservation of energy? For question number 2, I had:

K1 + U1 = K2 + U2

But the problem is since the whole system starts out at rest, wouldn't there be no initial energy except for potential? Meaning the "change" in potential energy would only be mgh? Or does the block somehow add potential energy as well?

Thanks in advance, I'm quite at a loss right now and my physics textbook isn't helping :(

Physics news on Phys.org
1) think about what needs to happen for gravity to do work. Which parts of the system are affected by this?

2) you're going about it the right way. Don't overthink the potential energy, just use what you know: gravity, springs, electrostatics, chemical, etc . and since all but one of those are not in the question... What are the types of kinetic energy present?

I guess the only thing affected by gravity is the block? Since the pulley is attached to the wall, does that mean that the only work would be the motion of the block going down the distance h?

So Wg = F*h = m*g*h?

As far as the energy changes, there's no chemical, electrical, or spring...just the .5mv^2 of the block moving and the .5Iw^2 of the pulley?

Related to Energy and Rotational Inertia Question

What is energy and rotational inertia?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change, while rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion. Both are important concepts in understanding how objects move and interact.

How are energy and rotational inertia related?

Energy and rotational inertia are related through the concept of rotational kinetic energy. The amount of rotational kinetic energy an object has is dependent on its rotational inertia and its angular velocity.

What factors affect the rotational inertia of an object?

The rotational inertia of an object is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass or mass distributed farther from the axis of rotation will have a greater rotational inertia.

How is rotational inertia different from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its rotational motion, while linear inertia is the resistance of an object to changes in its linear motion. Rotational inertia is dependent on the distribution of mass in an object, while linear inertia is dependent on an object's mass and velocity.

How is the concept of energy and rotational inertia used in real-world applications?

The principles of energy and rotational inertia are used in many real-world applications, such as designing and building machines, vehicles, and structures. They are also important in understanding and predicting the behavior of objects in motion, such as in sports and physics experiments.