Energy and charged particle collisions

In summary, the alpha particle has an initial velocity of 6.8x10^7 m/s and will collide with the gold nucleus at a distance of 4.7x10^15 m.
krbs

Homework Statement

Find the initial velocity of an alpha particle with a mass of ##6.64 \times 10^{-27} kg## and a charge of ##+3.2 \times 10^{-19} C##, if it undergoes a head on "collision" with a gold nucleus. You may assume the gold nucleus does not move at all during the interaction. The charge on the gold nucleus is ##+2.53 \times 10^{-17} C## and the distance of closest approach between the two is ##4.7 \times 10^{-15} m##.

Homework Equations

##K_E\ =\ E_E##

or

##K_E\ +\ E_E\ =\ E_E##?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already calculated initial velocity using ##K_E\ =\ E_E## and got ##6.8 \times 10^{7} m/s## but I suspect this is incorrect.

I'm having trouble understanding energy transformations during collisions of charged particles. I think that by "initial velocity" they mean just before the particles collide? In which case I should take into account EPE for the initial total energy. I think the final energy at the instant of closest approach must be entirely EPE because the gold nucleus is stationary and so the particles' combined velocity must be zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
krbs said:
I'm having trouble understanding energy transformations during collisions of charged particles. I think that by "initial velocity" they mean just before the particles collide? In which case I should take into account EPE for the initial total energy. I think the final energy at the instant of closest approach must be entirely EPE because the gold nucleus is stationary and so the particles' combined velocity must be zero.

You're correct on the second point, but not the first. If two particles repel each other, then (unless one has an initial velocity towards the other), they will simply move further apart. Unlike gravity, however, where the velocity gets larger until the two objects actually physically collide, the velocity during repulsion will decrease until the smaller particle stops and then goes back the way it came.

Last edited:
So initial velocity refers to the velocity of the particle when it's far away from the other, and EPE is negligible?

krbs said:
So initial velocity refers to the velocity of the particle when it's far away from the other, and EPE is negligible?
Yes, you have to assume EPE is negligible initially; otherwise, where it starts will affect the minimum distance.

Okay, thanks for your help

1. What is energy and charged particle collision?

Energy and charged particle collision is a physical phenomenon in which two or more charged particles collide with each other, resulting in the transfer of energy between them. This can occur in various forms such as electromagnetic radiation, nuclear reactions, or particle interactions.

2. What is the importance of studying energy and charged particle collisions?

Studying energy and charged particle collisions is crucial for understanding the behavior of matter and the fundamental forces that govern our universe. It also has practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear energy, and medical imaging.

3. How do scientists study energy and charged particle collisions?

Scientists use various experimental techniques to study energy and charged particle collisions. These include particle accelerators, detectors, and computer simulations. These methods allow scientists to observe and measure the particles involved in collisions and analyze their interactions.

4. What is the role of energy in charged particle collisions?

Energy plays a critical role in charged particle collisions as it determines the outcome of the collision. The amount of energy transferred between particles can affect the type of reaction that occurs, the production of new particles, and the behavior of the particles involved.

5. What are some practical applications of energy and charged particle collisions?

Energy and charged particle collisions have numerous practical applications, including medical imaging techniques such as PET scans and MRI machines, nuclear power generation, and particle accelerators used in scientific research. They also play a role in developing new materials and technologies, such as semiconductor devices and nuclear medicine treatments.