Energies of interaction between molecules

In summary, the question asks to estimate the energies of interaction between two hydrogen molecules and two nitrogen molecules at 25 °C when separated by 0.3 nm. The London dispersion force equation is suggested and the attempt at a solution uses the equation with values for polarizability taken from Hirschfelder, Curtiss, and Bird.
burns96

Homework Statement

Estimate the energies of interaction at 25 °C between (i) two hydrogen molecules and (ii) two nitrogen molecules, if each pair is separated by 0.3 nm. Explain fully and clearly your reasoning and any assumptions you make in your answer. State the source of the values of any molecular properties you use in your calculation.

Homework Equations

Would I use the London dispersion force equation for this?
V = -3/4 α2I/r6

The Attempt at a Solution

so for hydrogen -3/4 x α2 x 1312 x 103/(3 x 10-10)6
Is this the right approach? Not sure where to get a value for polarisability from

Physics news on Phys.org
burns96 said:

Homework Statement

Estimate the energies of interaction at 25 °C between (i) two hydrogen molecules and (ii) two nitrogen molecules, if each pair is separated by 0.3 nm. Explain fully and clearly your reasoning and any assumptions you make in your answer. State the source of the values of any molecular properties you use in your calculation.

Homework Equations

Would I use the London dispersion force equation for this?
V = -3/4 α2I/r6

The Attempt at a Solution

so for hydrogen -3/4 x α2 x 1312 x 103/(3 x 10-10)6
Is this the right approach? Not sure where to get a value for polarisability from

This looks right to me.
Polarizabilities should be given in Hirschfelder, Curtiss, and Bird.

Related to Energies of interaction between molecules

1. What are the different types of energies of interaction between molecules?

There are several types of energies that contribute to the interactions between molecules. These include electrostatic interactions, van der Waals forces, hydrogen bonding, and hydrophobic interactions.

2. How do electrostatic interactions affect the energies between molecules?

Electrostatic interactions occur between molecules with opposite charges, such as between a positively charged hydrogen atom and a negatively charged oxygen atom. These interactions can be attractive or repulsive, and can significantly affect the overall energy of a molecule.

3. What are van der Waals forces and how do they contribute to molecular interactions?

Van der Waals forces are weak attractive forces that occur between all molecules, regardless of their polarity. These forces are caused by temporary imbalances in the distribution of electrons in a molecule, and can contribute to the overall energy of a molecule.

4. How does hydrogen bonding affect the energies of molecules?

Hydrogen bonding occurs between molecules that have a hydrogen atom bonded to a highly electronegative atom, such as oxygen or nitrogen. This type of bonding is stronger than van der Waals forces and can significantly affect the overall energy of a molecule.

5. What role do hydrophobic interactions play in the energies of molecules?

Hydrophobic interactions occur between nonpolar molecules in a polar solvent, such as water. These interactions are driven by the tendency of nonpolar molecules to minimize their contact with water, and can contribute to the overall energy of a molecule.