Enclosed Electrolysis of Water Question

In summary, when 100% water in an enclosed container is split into hydrogen and oxygen through running current, it is likely that the gases will stay separated at high pressure. However, there is a possibility that they may recombine due to the atoms being in close proximity to each other. If ignited, the mixture will release heat as the electrical energy is converted into mechanical and chemical energies. The explosive limits of oxygen and hydrogen do not guarantee an explosion, they simply separate mixtures that can explode from those that cannot.
ChrisAndre
Scenario: Let's say we have ONLY 100% water in an enclosed container that cannot be penetrated. If we run current through it, and the water is completely split into hydrogen and oxygen, then will it:
-Recombine to reform the water?
OR
-Stay separated at the extremely high pressure?

And if we ignite the mixture, will it create a higher pressure because of the reaction?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
What arguments do you have for both scenarios?

Remember the energy you've put into the system...

From just basic experience, I think that it will stay separated, because I've never heard of anything forming bonds when under high pressure. But then again, considering that there is only water in a completely enclosed container, there is really no place to go for the gases created to go, and so I assume the atoms are more or less in the same proximity to each other as when the bonds between them existed. I would guess that they might recombine. I don't know how to start eliminating these possibilities.

If I can ignite the mixture, intuitively it would generate lots of heat. I'm guessing that's what the electricity is converted into.

there is a certain ratio of oxygen and hydrogen where there is a possibility it will spontaneously combust. Something called the explosive limit. Try wiki it.

ChrisAndre said:
From just basic experience, I think that it will stay separated, because I've never heard of anything forming bonds when under high pressure. But then again, considering that there is only water in a completely enclosed container, there is really no place to go for the gases created to go, and so I assume the atoms are more or less in the same proximity to each other as when the bonds between them existed. I would guess that they might recombine. I don't know how to start eliminating these possibilities.

OK. A lot depends on the system temperature, but as long as temperature is not measured in hundreds of deg C, it is too low to overcome activation energy. In effect gases will stay separated. I have no idea what exact temperatures will let them react, these things are probably measured and available as a tables when you know where to look.

If I can ignite the mixture, intuitively it would generate lots of heat. I'm guessing that's what the electricity is converted into.

That's just energy conservation. You put electrical energy into system, converting it into mechanical (pressure) and chemical (presence of hydrogen and oxygen) energies. Recombination of hydrogen and oxygen means conversion of chemical energy into heat.

m3lange said:
there is a certain ratio of oxygen and hydrogen where there is a possibility it will spontaneously combust. Something called the explosive limit. Try wiki it.

Explosive limits (upper and lower) have nothing to do with spontaneity. They separate mixtures that can explode from mixtures that can't, but they don't guarantee mixture will explode just because it exists.

Related to Enclosed Electrolysis of Water Question

What is enclosed electrolysis of water?

Enclosed electrolysis of water is a process in which an electric current is passed through water, causing it to split into its component elements of hydrogen and oxygen. This process takes place in a closed system, meaning that the gases produced are contained within a chamber or container.

What is the purpose of enclosed electrolysis of water?

The purpose of enclosed electrolysis of water is to produce hydrogen and oxygen gases, which can then be used for various applications such as fuel for vehicles or as a source of energy for power plants. It is also used in scientific research and experiments to study the properties and behavior of these gases.

How does enclosed electrolysis of water work?

In enclosed electrolysis of water, an electric current is passed through two electrodes that are immersed in the water. The electrodes are typically made of a conductive material such as metal. As the current flows through the water, it causes a chemical reaction that splits the water molecules into hydrogen and oxygen ions, which then gather at the respective electrodes.

What are the advantages of enclosed electrolysis of water?

One advantage of enclosed electrolysis of water is that it is a clean and environmentally-friendly process, as it does not produce any harmful emissions. It also produces a high-purity form of hydrogen and oxygen, making it useful for various industrial and scientific applications. Additionally, the process can be powered by renewable energy sources, making it a sustainable option.

Are there any limitations to enclosed electrolysis of water?

Enclosed electrolysis of water can be a costly process, as it requires a significant amount of energy to produce hydrogen and oxygen gases. It also requires specialized equipment and materials, making it inaccessible for smaller scale operations. Furthermore, the process is not 100% efficient, meaning that some energy is lost during the process.