Enclosed charge of an electron cloud with a given charge density function.

In summary, the conversation discusses a conceptual problem with the charge distribution of an electron cloud in a hydrogen atom and its relation to the charge of an electron. The charge density function comes from quantum mechanics and there may be a "weird quantum effect" at play. The conclusion is that the charge distribution may extend outside the Bohr radius due to the statistical nature of the distribution, but when considering a large number of atoms, it averages out.
geophysics10
I have a conceptual problem.

Homework Statement

I was given a charge distribution for an electron cloud of a hydrogen atom in the ground state - ignoring the nucleus.

Homework Equations

charge density: ρ=charge of electron/(pi*Bohr radius^3)*exp(-2r/Bohr radius)

The Attempt at a Solution

Whenever I integrate over the volume of the sphere to find the enclosed charge, I got a value other than the charge of an electron. Why isn't the enclosed charge equal to the charge of an electron? What concept am I missing here? The charge density function comes from quantum mechanics. Is there some weird quantum effect there that is taken into account?

Physics news on Phys.org
The charge distribution does not terminate inside a finite volume - plot ##\rho(r)## vs ##r## and compare with the radius of the volume you are integrating over.

The "weird quantum effect" is the statistical nature of that charge distribution ... for a sphere radius R (finite volume) about the nucleus, there is always a non-zero probability of finding the electron outside that volume. Integrate to infinity and you should get ##q_e##.

Thank you. I took a drive and realized that some of the distribution must lie outside the Bohr radius because it is an average value for the distance of the electron, and that when r is at infinity the electron and proton must both be point charges at the origin. I'm glad I came back to someone confirming that!

Yah - this treatment of the electron as having its charge smeared out over the wave0-function is only an average treatment. An actual interaction may measure the position of a particular electron more accurately than that... but, for a large number of hydrogen atoms, it all averages out.

It is important to remember that the charge density function for an electron cloud in an atom is a probability distribution, not a physical distribution of charge. This means that while it can give us information about the likelihood of finding an electron at a specific point in space, it does not represent the actual physical distribution of charge. Additionally, the charge of an electron is a fundamental constant and is not dependent on the position or state of the electron. Therefore, the enclosed charge may not necessarily equal the charge of an electron, as it is determined by the specific distribution and probability of the electron's location within the atom. It is also worth noting that the Bohr radius used in the charge density function is a classical approximation and may not accurately represent the quantum effects of the electron cloud. I would suggest consulting with your instructor or a more advanced textbook for further clarification on this concept.

Related to Enclosed charge of an electron cloud with a given charge density function.

1. What is an electron cloud?

The electron cloud is a term used to describe the region around an atom where electrons are most likely to be found. It is a three-dimensional space that surrounds the atomic nucleus and contains the negatively charged electrons.

2. What is an enclosed charge?

Enclosed charge refers to the total amount of electric charge contained within a closed surface. In the context of an electron cloud, it refers to the net charge of the electrons within the specified region.

3. What is a charge density function?

A charge density function is a mathematical representation of the distribution of electric charge within a given space. It describes how the charge is distributed and the amount of charge per unit volume at any given point.

4. How is the charge density function related to the enclosed charge of an electron cloud?

The charge density function is used to calculate the enclosed charge of an electron cloud. By integrating the function over the specified region, the total charge within that region can be determined.

5. Why is understanding the enclosed charge of an electron cloud important?

Understanding the enclosed charge of an electron cloud is important because it allows scientists to predict the behavior of electrons and their interactions with other particles. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as chemistry, physics, and materials science.