Emulate something in software that has a resonant frequency

In summary, the equation that relates how far away from the center the oscillator currently is to how strongly it's pulled back to center is F=kx. This is the equation that is used to model the restoring force in pendulum and spring problems. The granularity in time with which you simulate this process is up to you; you can use periodic samples or instantaneous pulses.
inhahe
Hello, I have a question about resonance. Say I want to emulate something in software that has a resonant frequency. It will be receiving pushes and pulls at various intervals, and I want the emulation to reflect how intensely it would vibrate at its resonant frequency as the result of those combined pushes and pulls. I think the pushes and pulls are straightforward, so my question is: What is the equation that relates how far away from the center the oscillator currently is to how strongly it's pulled back to center? I imagine this is the only relation that causes resonance in the item in question, but I don't know the math.. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org

F = kx (x = distance, k a constant) should be an excellent model for the restoring force. It is used as a good approximation in pendulum and spring problems where it results in simple harmonic (sinusoidal) vibration.

thanks. what's the relation between k and the resonant frequency?

also i have another question.. it's about the granularity in time with which i simulate this process. i honestly have no idea how crude it can be. essentially I'm wondering if i could cause a movement only every time it's pushed/pulled, and not in between, and still get the required effect.

i was thinking if i pushed according to the F=kx (plus the pushing force I'm applying), and the oscillator ends up, say, on the other side, does that really work if I simply moved it in linear relation to how strong the push was? Because meanwhile while it was moving there should have been more forces applied per position. so a) would I have to account for this (given that all I'm looking for in the end is how fast it's vibrating), and b) in that case, would it have to be accounted for step-wise, or can calculus or something be used to determine the final position after the push?

oh..as far as the calculus goes, it will be pushed at a regular interval but at varying intensities, and that interval's frequency is somewhere between twice per oscillation and a large number per oscillation.

(the pushes and pulls in real life won't happen in instantaneous pulses, but in a continuum, but i believe i can simplify for the purpose of simulation and use periodical samples..)

thanks..

Last edited:

Related to Emulate something in software that has a resonant frequency

1. What is a resonant frequency?

A resonant frequency is the natural frequency at which an object vibrates with the greatest amplitude. It is determined by the object's mass and stiffness.

2. Why is it important to emulate something with a resonant frequency in software?

Emulating a resonant frequency in software allows us to study and manipulate the behavior of the object without physically testing it. This can save time and resources in the research and development process.

3. How do you determine the resonant frequency of an object?

The resonant frequency can be determined by performing a frequency sweep test, where the frequency is gradually increased until the object begins to vibrate with the greatest amplitude.

4. Can you emulate the resonant frequency of any object in software?

Yes, it is possible to emulate the resonant frequency of any object as long as its mass and stiffness can be accurately simulated in the software.

5. What are some real-world applications of emulating resonant frequencies in software?

Emulating resonant frequencies in software has a variety of applications, including designing and testing musical instruments, creating virtual simulations of mechanical systems, and studying the behavior of structures in response to various frequencies.