EMF, Power Output, and Terminal Voltage

In summary, a battery with a steady current of 5.6 A for 21s transforms 1410J of chemical energy into electric energy, with 560J of this being transformed into heat energy. The emf of the battery can be calculated by taking the amount of energy transformed and dividing it by the time, then multiplying by the charge of a single electron. The total power output of the battery can be found using the formula P=VI, where V is the emf. Finally, the terminal voltage of the battery can be found by using the formula P=E/t, where E is the energy transformed and t is the time.
phm

Homework Statement

A battery supplies a steady current of 5.6 A for 21s. During this time 1410J of chemical energy is transformed into electric energy, but 560J of this electric energy is transformed into heat energy inside the battery.

a) What is the emf of the battery?

b) What is the total power output of the battery?

c) What is the terminal voltage fo the battery?

Homework Equations

emf= Ve + V
P= VI or P= V2/R
Ve= emf - V or Ve= emf- Ir

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt to find the emf was (1410J)/(21s) and to multiply that by (1.6 X 10-19), since the emf is the "amount of chemical energy transformed to electric potential energy per coulomb of charge." However, I am not sure if I am to include or minus the 560J from the 1410J.
Then to find the power output, I am assuming that you would use P=VI, where the V is the emf.
After that, I don't know how to find the terminal voltage.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like you just stuck the charge of a single electron in there. You know P=VI, and you know power is just a rate of energy, P = E/t. That means you have everything you need.

I would like to clarify a few things before providing a response. EMF stands for electromotive force and is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit. It is often used interchangeably with the term "voltage." Power output refers to the rate at which energy is transferred or converted in a system, and terminal voltage refers to the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of a battery or power source.

With that in mind, let's address the questions in the problem:

a) To find the emf of the battery, we can use the equation emf = ΔE/Δq, where ΔE is the change in energy and Δq is the change in charge. In this case, we are given the values for both ΔE (1410 J) and Δq (5.6 A for 21 s). Plugging these values into the equation, we get an emf of approximately 252 V.

b) The total power output of the battery can be found using the equation P = VI, where V is the emf and I is the current. Plugging in the values for V (252 V) and I (5.6 A), we get a power output of approximately 1411 W.

c) To find the terminal voltage of the battery, we can use the equation Ve = emf - IR, where Ve is the terminal voltage, emf is the electromotive force, I is the current, and R is the resistance. In this case, we are not given the value of resistance, so we cannot calculate the exact terminal voltage. However, we can use the values for emf (252 V) and I (5.6 A) to estimate the terminal voltage. Assuming a very small resistance (close to 0), the terminal voltage would be approximately equal to the emf, so the terminal voltage in this case would be approximately 252 V.

I hope this helps clarify the problem and how to approach it as a scientist. It is important to always use the correct equations and units when solving problems in science, and to carefully consider the given information before making calculations.

Related to EMF, Power Output, and Terminal Voltage

1. What is EMF and how is it measured?

EMF stands for electromotive force and is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. How is power output related to EMF?

Power output is directly proportional to the EMF in a circuit. This means that as the EMF increases, the power output also increases, and vice versa.

3. How is terminal voltage different from EMF?

Terminal voltage is the voltage that is actually delivered to a circuit or device, while EMF is the voltage created by a source, such as a battery. Terminal voltage is typically lower than EMF due to resistance in the circuit.

4. Can EMF be harmful to humans?

EMF is a type of radiation and high levels of exposure can potentially be harmful. However, the levels of EMF in everyday devices and power sources are typically very low and are not considered harmful to humans.

5. How does distance affect EMF and terminal voltage?

The strength of EMF decreases as distance from the source increases. This means that the terminal voltage will also decrease as distance increases due to the decrease in EMF. This is why power lines are typically located far away from residential areas.